Akaniaceae or Bretschneideraceae? (re: Bretschneidera)

Discussion in 'Plants: Nomenclature and Taxonomy' started by Daniel Mosquin, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The question was raised today whether the family Bretschneideraceae is recognized as still being valid for the genus Bretschneidera, or whether that family has now been sunk into Akaniaceae (and thus Bretschneidera would be in the Akaniaceae).

The RHS Plant Finder 2003-2004 does not list Bretschneidera, so cannot be used as a first guide.

The Flora of China, Volume 8 uses Bretschneideraceae but states:

The Angiosperm Phylogeny Group suggests Akaniaceae , but also states:

That it remains optional to separate the families according to the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group suggested to Douglas, Linda and myself that evidence to support placing the Bretschneideraceae within Akaniaceae is still lacking.

We decided to continue to use Bretschneideraceae for Bretschneidera.

2. qcronk

qcronk Active Member 10 Years

Akaniaceae

The APG classicfication, although actively evolving, will be (eventually) the one everybody follows. I don't know the evidence for Bret. being in the Akan., but if that is where the APG are putting it, then there must be some.

Floral anatomy puts B. very close to A., see:

Floral anatomy and systematics of Bretschneidera (Bretschneideraceae)
    De Craene LPR, Yang TYA, Schols P, Smets EF
    BOTANICAL JOURNAL OF THE LINNEAN SOCIETY
    139 (1): 29-45 MAY 2002

Bremer B, Bremer K, Chase MW, et al.
    An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG II
    BOT J LINN SOC 141 (4): 399-436 APR 2003

---
    For those interested I attach APG II - the current standard.

Attached Files: