Agave advice

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by urglefloggah, Feb 25, 2009.

1. urglefloggah

urglefloggah Member

Howdy. I have an Agave americana with what I believe is a watering issue. It is set in soil, in a greenhouse in the middle of Michigan. We keep the greenhouse 79-87 degree range. We do not create artificial growing periods; lights are only on during the day.

So the question is, with these conditions, what is causing bottom leaves of the Agave to wrinkle, then turn brown, then black? We water very little, knowing that Agave do not like water when not growing, but even this little might be too much.

What do the symptoms look like? If they aren't pronounced enough, I can get a newer photo, with worse problems. But look on the uppe rleft of the photo. You can see some of the dead and dying leaves

This happened last winter; over the summer it returned to full health. Now it is happening again. How do I prevent the bad half of the cycle?

Attached Files:

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

It's the normal process of shedding leaves as new ones are produced. You have quiet a healthy plant there.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Seconded - that's the normal process of shedding old leaves. If it were having water issues, it would either be rotting at the central rosette or going mooshy on the outer leaves - it's extremely difficult to under-water one.

4. urglefloggah

urglefloggah Member

Alright. That is a definite positive. Thanks for the advice.