African Daisies

Discussion in 'Flower Mandalas Project' started by dbookbinder, Jul 6, 2005.

1. dbookbinder

dbookbinder Active Member 10 Years

Suggestions for a complementary quote, a word that these mandala images evoke, or some history or other information about the flower itself are most welcome, as are corrections to my flower identification if I've got it wrong and any other comments you'd care to make.

I'd also appreciate identification of the specific cultivar, if applicable.

Thanks,
    - David
    © 2005, David J. Bookbinder

Attached Files:

2. tiger_lily

tiger_lily Active Member 10 Years

David - I love your flower mandalas! What a wonderful project. The osteospermum or "african daisy" is native to South Africa, and a tender perennial (often considered an annual) here in the Northwest. I don't recognize the particular hybrid in the photo, it is similar to "Vanilla Symphony" but the petals in the Symphony series appear to be thinner. I love the osteospermum, it is a flower with personality, since it only opens on bright sunny days, and closes at night and on cloudy or rainy days.

Best wishes with your project. Please let us know when your book is available.

3. dbookbinder

Hi, thanks for the info on the african daisy, particularly its "personality."

What's holding me up on the book project is getting together meditative quotes that somehow counterpoint with the images. But I'll get there....

- David

4. tiger_lily

tiger_lily Active Member 10 Years

David,

There must be books with such quotes you can draw on, or pull from the scriptures. For example from the Bible, the words of Jesus:

"Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!" Luke 12:27-28 (New International Version)

How about the poem about the Dying Swan:

http://www.drpsychotic.com/classic_writings/the_dying_swan.html

Or this poem which impressed me in my childhood:

"Fuelled by a million man made wings of fire,
    the rocket tore through the sky,
    and everyone cheered.

Fuelled only by the thought from God,
    the tiny seedling urged its way
    through the thickness of black,
    and as it pierced the heavy ceiling of the soil,
    and launched itself into outer space -
    no one even clapped."

I'm not sure if this is the kind of stuff you are looking for, but I think it may fit in with your work. Let me know if you want me to dig up some more, I love such challenges. :-)

All the best.

5. dbookbinder

Hi. Yes, these are the kinds of quotes I'm looking for -- either something specific to the flower itself, or something that counterpoints with a feeling or mood that one of the images evokes. For instance, an image of a Dahlia Hybrid I created a while ago seems joyful to me. The quote I'm considering is "Who you are brings me joy" (which appears to be Anonymous). Somewhere I have a list of about 50 basic emotions, and I hope to find an image and quote that in some way corresponds to many of them, and to intersperse them with quotes that pertain to the actual flowers; not sure of the balance at this point.

Any potentially suitable quotes you come upon or feel like looking for would be most welcome!

Thanks,
    David