Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Elmore, Mar 1, 2004.

1. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Well, regardless if our cameras are making underhanded adjustments the bronze/orange summer tints are real. I refuse to make any corrections on my own(don't trust my own perceptions) and I guess pay the price, I just take lots of pictures and delete most.

I personally do not see unnatural tones in this 8:37AM photo as the green of 'Aureum' naturally glows and the orange/bronze is not overbearing and unrealistic. As well the background looks natural.
    08.10.20 08.37 AM.jpg

Harder to judge in blinding full sun at 11:18 but the orange/bronze is actually there. LOL
    08.12.20 11.18 AM.jpg

ROEBUK likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I agree with G @wind-borne, no trickery just honest photos. These are also 'all' Shirasawanum Aureum in a special year.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Not about trickery or dishonesty, just the way digital cameras and their controlling software work. By changing the light conditions, you enable a different color profile, and the plant looks rather different. (We see this in some books or reference photos, shooting at night with a flash is a common way to "enhance" the colors.) My point was simply that #nofilter is pretty meaningless in the age of digital cameras.

4. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

I am not sure if you are talking about manually setting before the shot or tweaking after the fact.
    What did intrigue was the comment that your old Canon was more honest.

I use a ~10 year old Nikon that is smaller than a phone and slips easily in my pocket with only about half the display size of a phone but I consider the tactile experience of a shutter button more important than the convenience of a phone.

My point has always been about not using the picture as a starting point to be adjusted to my personal tastes.
    I refuse to 'fix' my photos, choosing from whatever the software has chosen and deleting the rest.

Just as I would not normally post a shot in full sun like above yet in context of Ron's doubt felt it was appropriate.

5. Acerholic

@wind-borne good evening G, I agree what would the point be in tweaking a photo. Tbh my photos look rather washed out compared to how they actually look in the garden.
    My camera is an 11 year old Panasonic, no gadgets on it. Just point and shoot.
    The original doubt was "is this an Aureum"? "Yes it is", is my answer to that.

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I was really talking about how your camera in auto mode, not manual, (especially on a phone) changes the basic HSB (Hue-Saturation-Brightness) profile depending on the lighting conditions. This is entirely equivalent to changing the HSB profile afterwards, for example to make greens or reds brighter. There's really no difference, it's a digital manipulation of the data associated with the pixels, whether that happens when you initially write said data to a flash drive in your camera, or whether it happens that you modify the initial recording later. Depending on the SW in the camera, and the lighting, the captured data is manipulated when it's written to flash. Hence, it is a de facto filter, decided by the software. This is like the proverbial philosophical "veil of perception", sitting between the CCD raw data capture and the eventual data that gets written as the digital photograph data. There is (AFAIK) no camera that records CCD data without some modification at all.

My implication about the old canon (and probably true about your Nikon too) is simply that, since it's old and the SW is less sophisticated, it tries less to produce a vibrant picture, and changes less according to light conditions.

People tweak photos after the fact in order to A) try and produce a color profile that more closely matches perceived reality, or B) make the photo sexier and more eye catching by enhancing the colors.

wind-borne likes this.
  7. Acerholic

25th August 2020, the calm before storm Francis arrives.
    Aureum still holding it's colours well. My favourite in my garden today.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    My Aureum shows no signs of letting up on colour this year. Little signs of brown appearing at the tips, but nothing more. This could change rapidly in the next couple of weeks.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

1st September 2020 and the very first Autumn dew arrives after a rather cold night.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

7th September 2020 and in Southern England it is getting warmer once again. So surprised to see my maples with such dry leaves this morning. But this year is so very different for so many reasons!!?
    The signs are there that my Aureum will be a Summer show only this year. Look at the edges of the lobes and you will see the tell tell browning. In past years this has meant an Autumn of brown curled up leaves, then dropping before any colours. We will see !!!

Attached Files:

ROEBUK and MapleMO like this.
  11. Acerholic

@wind-borne good morning G, how is your Aureum looking today? I'm very interested to see and hear over the next few weeks how all this amazing Summer colour has affected our Autumn show both sides of the Atlantic?

12. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

I haven't had an autumn show in the few years I've had it as normally just turns brown before any substantial change.
    Here's a few from today, tree is in many different stages at the moment

09.07.20 11.10 AM.jpg 09.07.20 10.00 AM.jpg 09.07.20 11.20 AM.jpg

ROEBUK and Acerholic like this.
  13. Acerholic

@wind-borne I wonder if it's going to be your year for an Aureum Autumn show G , looking at your photos from today it just may be !!!!
    Fingers crossed for you.

14. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    My Aureum is not going to last and give a good show. But I am happy that it has lasted this long with amazing colour this year. I will take that!!

Attached Files:

15. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

3 wind/rain events in the last 4 days insure that I won't see the full color change.

2 days ago with dappled light breaking through mid- afternoon and a wet morning shot showing how airy 'Aureum' appears now with ~2/3 of the leaves gone.
    10.12.20 02.18 PM1.jpg 10.12.20 02.31 PM.jpg 10.12.20 02.18 PM2.jpg

10.12.20 10.09 AM.jpg

Twilight yesterday evening, this morning a massive brown out(not shown)LOL!
    DSCN0595.jpg DSCN0598.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    ROEBUK, emery and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

@wind-borne good evening G, you still have the star Aureum of the forum for 2020. Love the twighlight shots.

17. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

As of today:

Attached Files:

GardenCycles, AlainK, ROEBUK and 3 others like this.
  18. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

My 'Aureum' today

Attached Files:

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  19. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Flowers on my little one :

acershir-aureum2_210425a.jpg

Acerholic and LoverOfMaples like this.
  20. Acerholic

11th May 2021 and my Aureum is only just starting, what a difference to everywhere else in the world.
    Aureum 222.JPG

21. Acerholic

20th May 2021 and my Aureum is the brightest of greens in my garden this morning.
    Aureum 234.JPG Aureum 233.JPG
    Yes it's really that bright !!

Xi-feng, LoverOfMaples and D97x7 like this.
  22. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

From 05/23/21
    010.JPG

016.JPG

wind-borne, Xi-feng, maf and 2 others like this.
  23. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

very nice Keith. i can wait for it to become a specimen like your. what cha got growing down below it?

kbguess likes this.
  24. Acerholic

kbguess likes this.
  25. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

@LoverOfMaples
    A. palmatum rootstock, A griseum seedlings and a few Korean maple seedlings

LoverOfMaples likes this.