Acer pseudoplatanus 'Prince Camille de Rohan'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by emery, May 28, 2008.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This very pretty sycamore is undemanding, doesn't sunburn and apparently grows to a large size. It has a darker aspect than most of the variegated sycamores, and while it can be a bit forbidding under cloudy skies in sun it lights up pink with shades of orange. The undersides of leaves become purple as the season advances. Leaf out is quite yellow, not so pink as in some other cultivars.

Attached Files:

2. Ota

Ota Member

Re: A. pseudoplatanus 'Prince Camille de Rohan'

Nice maple, I like the variegation.
    I have something similar but it is my own spontaneous seedling. Now it is about 2,5 m of high.

Ota

pseudoplatanus-2.jpg pseudoplatanus-4.jpg

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Very nice, Ota! Do you know who the parents are, or is it just from the straight species? Nice dissected leaves.

I'm constantly scanning sycamore seedlings for interest. This year I got a bunch of viable seed from Corstorphinense -- apparently a rare occurence -- and planted, one of the seedlings has a pretty variegation. Too early to know whether it will survive, it's clearly less vigorous than its siblings.

Is yours a fast grower?

-E

4. Ota

Ota Member

It comes from A. pseudoplatanus 'Atropurpureum' seeds but there is a variegated A. p. 'Leopoldii' in the vicinity. However plants from Leopoldii seeds are not variegated at all.
    As compared with others it is rather slow grower. It is already 12 years old.

Good luck with seedlings from Corstorphinense ;-)

Ota