Acer pseudoplatanus f. purpureum

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by wcutler, May 27, 2009.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

There were at least two of these Acer pseudoplatanus purpureum trees growing at the JM Cellars winery in Woodinville, outside Seattle, WA. I suppose it was just the way the sun was hitting the leaves that made the undersides seem golden. I really liked the contrast with the very dark green leaf top colour.

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Very pretty indeed

Gomero

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes, very nice, striking. Wendy, would you remember if that is a pruned hemlock, Tsuga, near the base and to the left of the sprinkler in your first photo, or even which variety it is ? Your photos remind me of looking up through a 'Prinz Handjery' , with the purple underleaf, at Van Dusen years ago.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I saw some very large wild specimens on the Isle de Groix last summer. Very striking in the summer sun.

Isn't the correct name var. atropurpureum?

Whatever this is on my plant list.

-E

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Chimera, I'm sorry, I don't know and I'm not sure where I was on the rough map they gave each of us, with the plant list. So the best I can do is tell you all the Tsugas on their list:
    Tsuga canadensis
    Tsuga canadensis cultivar
    Tsuga canadensis
    'Pendulala'
    Tsuga canadensis pendula
    Tsuga canadensis
    'Pendula'
    Tsuga canadensis
    (dwarf)
    Tsuga canadensis
    'Minuta'
    Tsuga canadensis
    'Muttontown'
    Tsuga canadensis
    'Bacon#2'
    Tsuga canadensis
    'Springarns Littleleaf'
    Tsuga canadensis
    'Curly'Tsuga canadensis 'Lewisii'
    Tsuga canadensis 'Gentsch'
    Tsuga canadensis
    'Coles'
    Tsuga caroliniana 'Compacta'
    Tsuga mertensiana

They list 29 Acer palmatum cultivars and about seven other maples. But they don't actually list this A. pseudoplatanus purpureum, so I can't locate it on the map and tell you what's shown next to it!

The winery is open on weekends and people are welcome to walk around. They have 223 trees on their plant list.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The plantings began over 50 years ago. There is a dwarf- and slow-growing conifer collection that has been overtaken by spontaneous sycamore maple seedlings such as the ones shown here as well as other, taller trees including large-growing conifers that are part of the plantings. The current owners (JM Cellars) have been working on renovating the garden for the last 9 years.

Note the large trident maple at the left corner of the building. Its scaly looking trunk can be made out through the other trees between it and the camera by enlarging this shot.

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61440&d=1243492458

A seedling of it can be seen to the right.

7. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wendy and Ron, Ok, thanks very much, I can eliminate those with which I feel confident it is not, keeping in mind it could be quite old and reaching for the light.