Acer palmatum 'Wakehurst Pink'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by amazingmaples, May 2, 2011.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is a wonderful dark greenish blue tree. I was not sure where the name came from but this spring I see pink on the leaves.

Attached Files:

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

It was named after Wakehurst Place, a beautiful woodland garden in the UK, where the seedling was found growing. Unfortunately the original plant no longer exists (we were there last year during the Spring get together of the Maple Society) and therefore we have no reference to check truism to type. Somehow we need to identify an adult specimen growing somewhere in the world that could be 'agreed' to be the new reference. I have seen such a potential candidate at Vastérival (have you Emery?) which seems to be very close to the description found in the books. Commercially, over here in Europe, I have bought the cultivar from the two best known Dutch suppliers and none seems to be anywhere close to what it should be.

Gomero

3. amazingmaples

The source for the tree is pretty good at getting the correct tree. As it goes, we were joking about the name of the tree the other day how it has vertual no pink. I have owned the tree for a couple years and this years spring color is different than last years. Now the thing my friend noticedd was I have more red trees this year, after the comment I realized that many of my green leaf trees are opening up a red to purple color. My Osakazuki are dark purple almost a brown. The trees here are very late to leaf out.
    Going back to this tree, it is about 7' tall so it is not a young tree. I also have one that is about 10' tall one to match. I am pretty sure they are correct. The grower where they came from has all the right connections to get all the right trees.
    I have also added photos of the tree taken June 2010. You can see some of the pink still retains. You can also see the blue green color of the tree which is what makes me like the tree.

Attached Files:

4. Gomero

Could you then post some pictures of the fully deployed leaves?

Gomero

5. amazingmaples

please note photos above from last year.

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Gomero, I haven't seen the tree. However I may be able to get a graft if you're interested, I do have the occasional possibility of getting some material from the Princess' garden. :)

-E

7. amazingmaples

I looked at Evseld website and the last couple photos are right on with the tree I have. i have include photos of the tree and close ups of the bigger one which leaves are not as open

Attached Files:

8. Gomero

Verbatim from 'Japanese Maples' 4th edition: 'Wakehurst Pink' has large greenish leaves which are pink-flushed in the spring, becoming greenish bronze with pink dots and blotched variegation'.

The tree I saw at Vastérival is the only one I have seen that fits this description. The one I obtained from Esveld is not variegated and has no pink, this firm argued that the plant they sold me was true to type.

Therefore Emery, you are in to a highly classified mission: taking advantage of your connections (WOW) to the Princess heirs : get some pictures from their 'Wakehurst Pink' (and more if possible, thank you ;-)) and post them here.

For those who have never visited Vastérival, it is probably the most beautiful Woodland Garden in France and, to me, one of the top five in Europe. The challenge for Emery (who lives not too far) is that photos are strictly prohibited during visits!, if you are caught taking one surreptitiously, then you are ejected from the garden ipso facto.

Gomero

9. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I swear that while reading those paragraphs I could hear this music.

"Your mission Emery, should you choose to accept it......."

10. amazingmaples

I am at a lost, are a few of the most well know sellers, selling the wrong tree??

11. Gomero

LOL ;-))

Gomero

12. amazingmaples

there is a pretty big statement made, are you stating that Evseld and Buchholz are selling the wrong tree?

13. emery

Heheh. Love the music. I choose to accept the mission :) but it may well be impossible. (My connections aren't really all that great, but we're in with a chance.) Stay tuned, nothing will happen quickly though.

I note that Maillot has what he calls Wakehurst Pink in stock, http://www.maillot-erable.com/acer_wakehurst_pink-1098.php, with the description "Leaves bronze pink with white-brown margins in spring, and on new leaves in summer. Red/orange in autumn." (My translation, no idea what white-brown is). Does this correspond to what you guys have? Maillot is very near Vasterival, which is not to say that's where his mother scion was sourced, I don't know if they are connected in any way.

Re the accuracy of Esveld's (or anyone's) plant, it depends where the original scion came from. Did they tell you their source, Gomero? Esveld is of course very well connected with the UK forestry folks, who manage public gardens there. Also there are sometimes differences between what is considered "type" in the US and the EU, and anyone can get it wrong. It seems to me Esveld often has received mis-labeled material at one time or another.

I wonder also if, from what AM said, the plant simply takes many years to grow into the desired characteristics?

This post will self-destruct in 5 seconds... :)

-E

14. Gomero

No, he is north east of Lyon, in the direction of Bourg-en-Bresse.
    I cannot comment on Maillot's 'Wahehurst Pink' since I am not growing it.

Gomero

15. emery

Is he indeed? Thanks for the correction. For some reason I had him in the Pas de Calais, but I see you are right.

16. amazingmaples

I have to say from the website Emery posted, that tree has different coloring than Evseld or the trees I have got from Buchholz. I know from my visit to Buchholz he is very well connected as to getting correct scion wood.

If asked about the differences, I would say the tree I own which matches the two nurseries on two different continents is a prettier tree. This is just my opinion which means nothing. The three Wakehurst Pink trees I own have a very unique bluish green color with just a tiny bit of red/pink at the base of the leaf durning tha main part of the year and in fall is turns a wonderful purple red.

I wish I had a spring photo of the tre from last year, I know its coloring was not the same. Last year my trees leafed out in the end of february/ beginning of march. This year we are in may and the leaves are coming out. The colors I am seeing in my yard are more on the red side than years past.

17. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

I'm seeing the same thing this year. I still have some trees with barely swelling buds, and many that are currently in the middle of leafing out, and it seems like the process of leafing out is going much slower than usual.

18. amazingmaples

Here is a little look at the two of the same varieties from one grower. Both trrees looke similar last season, one was planted in full sun in the ground in full sun in a very dry bed and the other sat in a pot in a dark corner where is still sits. The one i first posted was the one in a container and it has had very interesting color this spring. I am also noting that many of my trees do have more red coloring but they are leafing out over a month late and probably two months later than last year.

Attached Files:

19. amazingmaples

Here is one of my Wakehurst Pink in fall color. This tree has been in shade all year.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Wakehurst pink was purchased at Wakehurst in 2018 after seeing the original. This tree is very hardy, but do not think you are getting a pink leafed tree until the Autumn colour arrives.
    There is a hint of dark pink when it leafs out, but this is very short lived. First photo shows this.
    I would reccomend giving this a lot of space to fully appreciate. It does take full sun.
    Mine is still in a pot as very young. Here are the colours for anybody considering this one because of the pink in the name.
    Photos 3 &4 July, starting to show some signs of what is to come in a few months. Patience is the key for a wonderful Autumn show.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

21st July 2020 and the pink tinges are really appearing now on my Wakehurst pink. That's where it gets its name.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

30th July 2020, the pinks are showing more and more each day.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

I've added this one today 3rd August 2020 as requested. The leaves, the petioles, this one exudes elegance IMO.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

9th August 2020, yes it's still holding the subtle pink colours. I promise to keep this updated regularly as requested.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    A few weeks on and the pinks are quite vibrant around the lobe teeth now.

Attached Files: