Acer palmatum 'Shishio improved'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This new one for me in 2018 is starting to develop nicely in 2020. It was a 3 year graft when I bought it and nothing too special. Now in July it is starting to give it's best colours. I keep this one in a lot of dappled shade, as I have a friend whose Shishio fried quite easily in part shade.
    I've also added the Spring photo so that you can see how it develops.
    I will update in October for Autumn colour.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

One month on since my last photo of my Shisho improved. Today's photo 9th August 2020. The mottling effect on these leaves gives it a constant Summer interest when so many turn to a solid green.
    I am very pleased with this acquisition.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

12th August 2020 still very hot and in fact yesterday was the hottest I've ever seen in my garden. Ground temperature hit 48° C by my trees.
    They are all now suffering. But I will continue the Summer diary as requested.
    Leaves are doing really well, tried to get close to enable you to see how this one is doing.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

17th August 2020, now three days of heavy rain and my trees are picking up at last.
    These are the most amazing greens in my garden, almost looks like a frosting on the leaves on my Shishio improved.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

27th August 2020 the winds have died down at last. Some suffered more than others.
    The veigning is starting to show up increasingly now on my Shishio Improved, I think it's looking rather pretty in the calm morning.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

4th September 2020 and the days seem to be getting shorter and shorter, which is a bit too fast for me. Busy time of the year in the garden for us maple growers, with less daylight !!!
    A morning with no dew or rain, but colours now popping up everywhere!!
    The transition period shows the gradual transformation of leaves from Summer to Autumn. Every single day IMO should be looked on with joy when viewing trees.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    Each day a new colour emerges on my Shishio Improved. If you blink or ignore it for a couple of days, you miss it.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    Two days on and yes, this is the same tree. Changes are coming thick and fast now on my Shishio Improved.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

20th September 2020 and new growth plus some strange colouring on my maples now. But Shishio Improved is doing what it should at this time of the year

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

5th October 2020 and very ominous dark skies that made my flash go off when taking photos this morning. But my Shishio Improved had a quality that I thought was well worth posting today.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

17th October 2020 and how subtle and pretty are the colours on Shishio Improved!!!? 'Very' is it's answer.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  12. Acerholic

31st October 2020 and the very subtle tones of my Shishio Improved are holding on fir today at least. It's not all about the vivid colours, contrasts are needed in Autumn as well.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

27th March 2021 and I actually think the red stems and red buds are my favourite with this maple. Yes it comes out wonderfully, but as I was saying earlier about favourites, it depends on the day or the week or even the hour in some cases.
    Shishio Improved  713.JPG

14. Acerholic

26th April 2021 and a little bit if frost damage, but nothing too bad, atm anyway. So I thought I better had get a photo before the frosts hit again this week.
    Shishio improved 203.JPG

15. Acerholic

9th June 2021 and leaves at last. You have to be so very patient this year...
    Shishio Improved 257.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  16. Acerholic

20th June 2021 and my Shishio Improved this morning. I've posted this as others have posted Chishio Improved. I think they are one and the same. ( Synonym).
    Shishio improved 276.JPG

17. Acerholic

24th June 2021 and my little Shishio Improved was shouting out at me to take a photo, so I did and here it is from a few minutes ago.
    Shishio improved 277.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  18. Acerholic

26th June 2921 and a request to update my Shishio Improved. So here it is.
    Shishio Improved 280.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  19. Acerholic

14th April 2022 and only baby steps, but it has started. I'm loving these bright pinks on my Shishio improved this year.
    Shishio improved April 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  20. Acerholic

16th May 2022 and the leaves were worth the wait.
    Shishio improved 16th May 2022.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  21. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

First time posting this one. I think I've had it about 3 years now. Showing some spotted variegation this year.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.