Acer palmatum 'Seigen'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, Aug 1, 2007.

1. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I've had this tree for 3 years now, and it's among the first to leaf out each spring in dense, small vivid red leaves. The color lasts for several weeks before going green for summer, and in the fall it turns yellow to yellow/orange. This tree resides in filtered light, and this photo was taken April 17, 2007.

Attached Files:

Backcountry Dan likes this.
  2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

This Acer was planted in March 1995.
    It is at its best in spring. In the autumn the colour of leaves is very dissappointing, they just seem to drop,possibly because it is in a very shaded area.Hover over pics to see date.

ACER  SEIGEN 07-04-2007 10-17-46.jpg ACER  SEIGEN 04-05-2008 17-57-27.jpg ACER  SEIGEN 04-05-2008 17-56-30.jpg

ACER  SEIGEN 08-05-2007 10-16-19.jpg ACER  SEIGEN 06-07-2008 15-04-15.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  3. nelran

nelran Active Member

I was looking for this cultivar, but it's very difficult to find here. According to some books, it is one of the most wanted for bonsai. Maplemedia and Luddite you're pretty lucky having one, and they're are pretty nice, indeed.

Luddite, from what I read about 'Seigen' your description of its behavior about fall color and leaves match the characteristics of this cultivar.

Thanks for share these astounding pics.

Nelson

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hmmm. I don't think my Seigen is a dud in the fall. Here are some pics...one without flash and one with.

Nelran, I got mine from Essence of the Tree.

Attached Files:

5. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Mendocino Maples has this cultivar, and one they call Seigen Aureum:

"Seigen Aureum is a lovely small tree that has stuning pink-orange new growth that turns light green in summer. This small bushy plant will turn reddish orange in autumn. Hardy and easy to grow. Sun/part shade"

Anyone have experience with this tree? Sounds rather intriguing...

6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Yes, this is a real winner. Mine is now 8 years old, probably 5' X 5' of dense growth, and the spring color is just brilliant. Mine is a kind of bright/intense peachy red in spring, a real conversation piece. Light green as Maplesandpaws said, and mine becomes in the autumn a matte-finished light brick color which is not unattractive, but it's not nearly as showy as the spring color. Mine lives in bright filtered light, has never experienced any die-back, and I'm very happy with it.

Oerc201 likes this.
  7. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Does anyone have this cultivar in full sun? I'm curious about the summer color in sun vs. shade.

Long story short, I was sold a Corallinum that is definitely not a Corallinum. After much research and way too many google image searches, the leaves are spot-on for Seigen, as is the description of the mother tree. I have mine planted in full sun and the leaves are a darker red-green/green. I wonder if they'd be lighter and more attractive in shade or part shade?

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  8. Oerc201

Oerc201 New Member

Hello

how is this tree doing? Any idea where i can find one?

Thanks