Acer palmatum 'Oshu Shidare'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, May 31, 2007.

1. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This is a beautifully shaped tree: it usually has a dome-shaped crown with cascading branches. I understand it's an old Japanese favorite. The spring leaves are purple/red with green undersides and in the autumn the leaves go red. It's especially interesting to photograph this tree with backlighting, as in this photo, which was taken May 4, 2007 in filtered light from a canopy of Madrone trees. It is my understanding that this cultivar goes by many names, some of which are "Oh shiu shidare," "Oh siu shidare" and "Oh syu shidare."

Attached Files:

2. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Here is my 'oshu shidare'...or supposedly so. After 2 springs I have yet to see any red coloration (except for in fall of course). The leaf shape looks to be the same to me, but it is difficult to tell in your image. Could you perhaps post a close up of the leaves?

I suspect that there are multiple clones sharing the same name here. Vertrees' image of 'oshu shidare' shows a distinctly different leaf shape. The basal lobes point backwards from the other lobes creating nearly a circular leaf rather than a half circle like my tree. Can anyone confirm this?

Attached Files:

3. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This is the same plant I posted above, though this photo was taken April 15, 2007, just as Oshu Shidare was leafing out. I'll try to find a more recent photo as well.

Attached Files:

4. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Perhaps this photo will better show the individual leaf structure if you click to expand the shot. This photo was taken May 10, 2007.

Attached Files:

5. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Thanks for posting. I have little doubt that there has been some naming "issues" with this plant. Perhaps one day I will be able to figure out just what I have.

6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

The labeling of maples in this country is really worrisome. I cannot tell you how many times I've gone to a reputable nursery for a specific plant, located it, brought it home, studied it, only to find that what I have purchased is nothing like what's described in books by Vertrees, van Gelderen or Yano. So then I set out trying to find more about the plant I have just purchased and often run into a wall. It's maddening. Four years ago I purchased a gorgeous plant labeled "Beni Hime" and it's become a real favorite in my garden. It was only when I thought of putting some photos of it on the UBC site that I learned it wasn't Beni Hime at all: it's a lovely Seigen. Now I really like the plant, but it would have been nice if it had been properly labeled in the first place. Each time something like this happens, it makes me wonder how many more in my garden bear improper names.

Mapledia

7. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is the Oshu Shidare, nice red/purple tree.

Attached Files:

8. amazingmaples

Here are photos in August, the tree has a very nice red color leaf with a beautiful mounding growth habit. The tree seems to be a compact tree and would fit into smaller spaces. The bark has a nice green/yellow color.

Attached Files:

9. amazingmaples

Here is an Oshu Shidare in the field

Attached Files:

10. amazingmaples

Here are the fall colors for 2011

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Acer palmatum 'Oshu Shidare ' is not a harsh red but one that is rather pleasing to the eye. The leaves are not large or spectacular to some people, but in my garden it sits nicely amongst the greens.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

My Oshu Shidare is a rather dull pink if I'm to be honest, but a shower of Summer rain and it stands out amongst my greens brilliantly. Photo taken on the 19th July 2020 has its Autumn colours in sight. Earlier this year for some reason, but enjoyed a lot none the less.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

More rain and more wonderful colours from my Oshu Shidare. 24th July 2020.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

Photo today 26th July 2020 taken to see if it is changing and IMO it is becoming more colourful day by day. From the photos I took in June when quite a dull red it is now coming to the fore in my garden.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

29th July 2020, this is so pretty. Every day it's getting better and better; I'm looking forward to the Autumn colours, but do not want these to dissapear either. Quite the conundrum!!! Thank goodness for digital photography and large hard drives.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

1st August 2020, my Oshu Shidare just gets better and better. Has the heat affected this one? I think not!!!

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

13th August 2020 and the heatwave has now taken it's toll. New growth and old all suffering.
    But as promised I'm adding these photos to show how cultivars cope at different times of the year and in different conditions. Some definatly not pretty, so have not put them on the Cheering ourselves up with maples thread !!!!
    This is where they should be.
    My Oshu Shidare is coping better than many others, 11 days since my last posting and not to bad OMO.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

15th August 2020, lots of rain at last, the leaves have freshend up so quickly. My misting I carry out in the evenings in hot weather was of no use this year when temperatures were in the mid 30 C 's for many many days. It just evaporated so quickly.
    This is a promise to keep the photo diary going, so here is my Oshu Shidare first thing this morning.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

new growth. Almost looks like Spring and Autumn at the same time in my garden. So strange, but a nice strange if you get my meaning.
    As promised to several people, my regular update on my Oshu Shidare.
    IMO it's getting prettier, but I suppose I am a little biased, Lol.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

22nd August 2020, look at how the rain has affected my Oshu Shidare. The photo does not do the reds justice, it really is so bright.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

1st September 2020 and the very first Autumn dew arrives after a rather cold night.
    Changing so very fast.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

5th September 2020 and the diary continues, each day has a new colour on the leaves now. And tbh some rather strange colours this year.
    This one posted as it was requested yesterday. Got as close as I could with my camera. I don't have macro facility sadly.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

7th September 2020 and this cultivar is changing so fast in transition phase. Lots of interest in my Oshu Shidare, so I will update regularly over the next few weeks. I promise.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Oshu Shidare.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

19th September 2020 and Summer is ending this weekend according to forecasts. Bright early morning sun is still helping maples in my garden to look nice.
    My favourite in my garden today is Oshu Shidare. Summer and Autumn all in one.

Attached Files: