Acer palmatum 'Orange Lace'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Xi-feng, May 28, 2022.

1. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

This is being advertised as another cultivar developed from Orange Dream. It's certainly got the strong yellow-orange colour of its parent, with reddish tips to the new growth and very lacy leaves in what looks to be an upright habit so far. Let's see what this one does!

20220528 Orange Lace-1.jpg 20220528 Orange Lace-2.jpg

LoverOfMaples, maf, D97x7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

A new one to follow. Looks wonderful Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Xi-feng likes this.
  4. Xi-feng

Ahhh, so there's been some discussion on this one already! Hopefully we'll get some more user pictures if anyone else has been tempted by this little one in the meanwhile - I'll continue to post mine!

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Excellent Xi. Definatly one worthy of forum photos and discussion.

Xi-feng likes this.
  6. Xi-feng

I'm not sure whether it's the summer colour-change or whether it's being in a sunny spot in my garden that's done it, but look at that colour-change in only half a week! There's that orange!

20220602 Orange Lace-1.jpg 20220602 Orange Lace-2.jpg

Romain01, maf, D97x7 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Acerholic

Ahh the new one !! Might give your other favourite a run for it's money!!? Gorgeous colours Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  8. Xi-feng

If it keeps up like this there's every chance! I'm really impressed with that bright orange: if it can maintain that over summer without frazzling then I'll be singing its praises at every opportunity!

9. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I like the leaf shape. Not as deeply divided as Seiryu, in the same realm as Wou nishiki maybe, but not exactly the same?

Orange Dream heritage makes sense with those colours - but I would defo be worried about potential frazzlement with the recent colour change...

Xi-feng likes this.
  10. Xi-feng

I'm definitely keeping an eye on it and will be moving it at the first sign of frazzle, though for the time being it's happy (and much happier than my actual OD, so we shall see!) Will keep posting pics to show how it develops!

maf likes this.
  11. Xi-feng

Orange Lace as we go into summer. Still holding a lot of that orange colour, with some yellow undertones. Seems to be holding up quite well in this sunny spot with sun to around 14:00:

20220625 Orange Lace-1.jpg 20220625 Orange Lace-2.jpg

Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  12. Xi-feng

Now at the beginning of July. I love the mixture of bright orange and even red at the edges of the leaves contrasted with that yellow inside. What a lovely little thing you are!

20220702 Orange Lace.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  13. Acerholic

Beautiful Xi, watching this one very closely!!!

Xi-feng likes this.
  14. Xi-feng

The colour has dulled, but given the time of year and the difficult conditions we've been having I can't blame it overmuch. It isn't showing too many signs of struggling, so I'm quite pleased with it:

20220813 Orange Lace.jpg

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  15. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

I came across one of these today at a local nursery. I've never seen it anywhere else nor even heard of it - I had to do a quick check on the forum to find out if anyone else had it!
    It's not a bad size for £15. It also looks, and feels like it's 2 separate cuttings in one pot so I may split them next spring when I pot them into better soil. For now I've just loosened the nursery soil and slipped it into a bigger one with my own mix.

Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses. Next spring it'll be going into a spot with sun from 1300-1600 before dappled shade again, under the branches of a huge Salix. Currently occupied by my emerald lace but although that is looking fairly happy, I feel like it's craving way more sun!

PXL_20230728_134648068.jpg PXL_20230728_134654181.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  16. Cattwooduk

I forgot to say - the tag which was on my Orange Lace referred to this selection having heritage from Garnet, which gives it the leaf shape. If that's the case then it'll be interesting to see how well it handles the heat!

maf likes this.
  17. Acerholic

With Orange Dream heritage, I think it will need some protection from afternoon sun C.

18. Cattwooduk

That's what slightly confused me - most info online suggests it's come from Orange Dream, but the label said Garnet heritage? Maybe some kind of cross-pollinated hybrid of the two or something? It'll be going into dappled shade either way!

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Acerholic

Better to be safe than sorry C