Identification: Acer Palmatum "Ogura Yama"

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Richard Christenson, May 20, 2013.

1. Richard Christenson

Richard Christenson New Member

Dear Forum Members,

I bought a Japanese maple from a nursery in Alexandria Virginia that is labeled
    Acer Palmatum Ogura Yama

When I looked this up in the splendid Vertees/Gregory book, I found an Ogura Yama that is in the Acer Shirasawanum group, but my tree is clearly a Palmatum, not a Shirasawanum. When I Google I can find only Acer Palmatum Omura Yama -- not Ogura Yama.

Have you perhaps heard of Acer Palmatum Ogura Yama? I can send a photo if that might help. I think I have a case of mis-labeling, and am eager to know what in fact I have.

Also, here is a true tyro's question: will it hurt if dogs pee on this newly-planted three foot tree?

With appreciation for dialogue and help,

Richard Christenson
    Alexandria, Virginia

2. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I'm not aware of a palmatum cultivar with the name of Ogura yama...probably a typo there. If we can see a couple of pictures we might be able to tell.

I'd keep the dogs away if possible. A little urine may not hurt it, but if compounded over time it could cause serious salt damage.

3. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Comment deleted

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

My dog peed in the same spot, right beneath a small Kinran, all winter long because its close to the house. I finally put some stakes around it, so she'd have to go elsewhere. I don't know if it was the pee or drought last year, but there is a lot of dieback. It looks so bad, I don't even know if I'll keep it there. She also went in another area close to the house and I can't get anything to grow there, either.
    Kay

5. Richard Christenson

Richard Christenson New Member

Thank you, Kay -- I appreciate your response.

Thanks to you, I am putting stakes and wire fencing around the tree to protect it.

Dick