Acer palmatum 'English Town'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by amazingmaples, Aug 11, 2011.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

This is one of my favorite red dwarfs. I have found it to have very little dieback

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is my Acer palmatum ' English Town ' Summer 2020. Keeping it's compact shape very well. Quite a slow grower. Ideal for a smaller garden or in a pot on a patio. Lovely red stays throughout the Summer.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Several weeks on from my last posting on English town and it is now getting some good growth. The bright reds stand out amongst it's older leaves that gives this cultivar a two tone effect in my garden.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

Three weeks on from my last update and my English town on the 30th July 2020 is still putting out new shoots. Hopefully the 30°C plus heat tomorrow won't halt it in it's tracks.
    Will definatly update this next week.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

Day three of extreme heat 36° C, the regular updates as promised. Today expected to be hotter. Photo 8th August 2020.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    Not too bad considering the intense heat in my garden. Even the new growth has coped well.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

21st August 2020, two named Summer storms are going to hit later today with winds of 50 mph plus, so I thought it better to take photos early.
    All have picked up this last week due to cooler conditions and long awaited rain. The colours are changing !!!!
    Is this Spring or nearly Autumn??? I think anybody looking at this would find it hard to say. But it is this mornings photo. So much new and amazing growth atm.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

25th August 2020, the calm before storm Francis arrives. My English town still pushing out new growth so late in the season.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

28th August 2020 and the ground is incredibly wet for the time of year. Just had more hail stones and my maples that are heavy in leaf do not like it one bit.
    Well even with all this going on weather wise, my English Town keeps putting out new growth.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.
    An English town with dew on it's leaves is very special IMO. Like a sugar coating!!

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my English Town, yes the new growth is still doing well. But with unseasonably high temperature it should continue.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

19th September 2020 and Summer is ending this weekend according to forecasts. Bright early morning sun is still helping maples in my garden to look nice and English Town with old and new leaves does that IMO.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

26th September 2020 when all around is doom and gloom, some maples are still showing new growth however cold it is. I still find it hard to believe, but here is my English Town.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

11th October 2020 and a heavy overnight dew on the leaves of my English Town gave a lovely look this morning. This is how I expect this cultivar to display at this time of the year and it has not let me down.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

3rd April 2021 and so we get off to another Spring, it seems to have been a long wait this time.
    My English Town is one if my stalwarts in my collection. Never any trouble at at all.
    English town 177.JPG

16. Acerholic

15th April 2021 and I did think that the frosts would hit my English Town, but my spraying once again did the trick. Still a few more worrying nights ahead, but hopefully it will be OK.
    English town 188.JPG

17. Acerholic

29th April 2021 and my English Town is now bringing so much colour to my garden. My photo sadly doesn't do it justice. Digital photography tends to bleech out the colours.
    English Town 207.JPG

18. Acerholic

9th May 2021 and my English Town is getting brighter and brighter. Quite vibrant are the colours this year.
    English Town 221.JPG

19. Acerholic

20th May 2021 and after reading about the synonym yesterday, (Englishtown Broom), I thought I would pust a photo.
    One of the best of reds for lasting well into the Summer.
    English Town 233.JPG

20. Acerholic

30th May 2021 and it's not just the name and I'm English. But it's the tiny beautiful leaves that appear every year without fail on this cultivar that pleases me so much.
    English Town 245.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  21. Acerholic

4th June 2021 and no excuses for posting this one so soon since my last, as it's such a cute red cultivar.
    English town 251.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  22. Acerholic

22nd June 2021 and my English Town is doing what it does best in my garden and that's making me smile.
    English Town 275.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  23. Acerholic

12th July 2021 and some pleasing reds on my English Town are still there, including some new leaves.
    English town 299.JPG

24. Acerholic

7th April 2022 and after some welcome overnight rain, my English Town is underway.
    English town April rain 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  25. Acerholic

30th May 2022 and what a difference from my last photo. Spring into Summer here in Southern England.
    English Town 30th May 2022.JPG English Town 30th May 2022 (2).JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.