Acer palmatum dissectum 'Crimson KING(?)'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke Harding, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

Hello,

I've come across two, nearly identical Maples, one named Acer palmatum dissectum 'Crimson Queen' (of which I am already familiar) and a second named 'Crimson King'. I have only found one reference to it online and it sounds identical to 'crimson queen'.
    Lots of information on Acer platanoides 'Crimson King' but its a completely different beast.
    The JD Vertrees and Peter Gregory book on Japanese Maple book (4th edition) mentions it at the end of the book but has no description either.
    Is this tree just a myth or is it something that is not recognised in the horticultural world yet. Perhaps even , not distinct enough from 'Crimson Queen' to warrant a seperate cultivar name?

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Luke,

I don't know the right answer, but have always assumed Crimson King was just a confusion between AP Crimson Queen and the popular A. platanoides 'Crimson King.' The World Checklist lists AP Crimson King as sourced from the Dick van der Maat catalog in 2006, but on his site in the collection Dick lists AP Crimson Carole, Crimson Prince and Crimson Queen; but no Crimson King!

I would suggest contacting Dick directly if no one here knows. If you clear it up please let us know!

cheers,

-E

3. Luke Harding

Luke Harding Active Member

Thanks for this. I found references to 'Crimson Prince' and 'Crimson Carole' and am now thinking you could be right that it is just a case of confusion.
    Luke