Acer palmatum 'Anne Irene'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Acerholic, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is a maple that has wonderful colours all season long. It does seem to have gone out of fashion a little IMO. But why ???
    In my garden it brightens up a shady area next to my dark Laurel hedge leaves.
    In late Autumn this cultivar has a kaleidoscope of Reds, Orange and yellows, that is still seen in late November in my garden when most others have already dropped their leaves.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acer palmatum ' Anne Irene ' does not have the flash bang wallop of a name that garden centres seem to like these days, all to attract more sales. But for the enthusiast who likes the yellows with a hint of red on the outer edges of the leaves, then this one is for you.
    It does not do too well in the sun, so I would put this one in the more delicate bracket.
    In my garden that is zone 8b UK, I have it in very early morning sun only, about 2 - 3 hours max. No sun at all in the afternoon and evening.
    This cultivar brightens a very shady and somewhat dull area of my garden near a dark green Laurel hedge. It stands out very nicely IMO.
    This photo taken after the rain on the 4th July 2020 and after a heatwave in June.
    Not doing too bad I think !!?

Attached Files:

AlainK and dicky5ash like this.
  3. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Hello D. Very nice..I like wispy growth forms on the edge of the leaves..I hope all is well with you? There is a large one (1.8m) in my local Homebase with a printed card and label detailing the cultivar name..however, when I googled the cultivar I was not convinced it had been labelled correctly..it had dark green leaves and did not have the orange dream type leaves, with wispy irregular growth forms on the edge of the leaves like Anne Irene..rather it had a rather plain longer lobed leaves..not as long as linearilobum, given size of the tree I can’t see it being just an immature specimen. Anyhow yours is very nice D

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Thankyou R. Does seem like the one you saw was mislabelled, do keep a look out for it, not expensive due probably to the name !!? But a well worth addition to a collection.
    Hope all is OK up there in Northampton. Thoughts have been with you today in this terrible wind.

5. Acerholic

27th July 2020 and still the colours are bright with my Anne irene whilst others are fading in that pre Autumn lull.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

Acer palmatum 'Anne irene' is cultivar that seems to have gone out of fashion recently. I've had this one for 15 years now and it performs well, as long as it does not get afternoon sun. A bit like Orange Dream it is sensitive to wind and direct sunlight. Mine has sun for 4 hours only in the morning then full shade.

In the early morning is the best time to view this one IMO.
    Photo taken 29th July 2020.

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  7. Acerholic

OK, so 34° C yesterday and the preceding days in late 20's. I took this photo of my Anne Irene early to show how it coped. I'm very pleased.
    1st August 2020 photo.
    I will update through this month as requested on PM's

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  8. Acerholic

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.
    Holding up very well for a delicate maple is my Anne Irene.

Attached Files:

9. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

There are two threads for this. Is there a way to combine them?

10. LoverOfMaples

Found this little hiding from me. I've had it shaded under a few of my older maple away from the sun. It's a first year graft.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good morning D, all combined now. That's a lovely first year graft you have there. Making a lot of growth !!!

12. LoverOfMaples

Thanks D and gm. I was surprised with the amount of growth it has put on myself. Im hoping with the right positioning next year I get some nice colors like yours.

13. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good morning D. Not much sleep for you either looking at the time difference...... I'm sure you will get some beautiful colours looking at how healthy your 1st year graft is doing.

14. Acerholic

14th August 2020, rain at last here in England and Oh how my Maples needed it. Just over two weeks until Autumn starts here in the UK and the colours are rapidly changing.
    Trying to take as many photos as possible to keep up to date with the requests.
    For a delicate yellow my Anne Irene has held up very well, tried to get in very close so that people can see how little damage has occurred over the last couple of weeks.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    My Anne Irene is a mass of these pretty leaves. A delicate variety some say, but I would not be without it in my garden.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    A lot of people ask about a yellow in their garden for the Summer. So how about Anne Irene !!!? It does the job for me next to my Skeeters broom.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  17. Acerholic

4th September 2020 and the days seem to be getting shorter and shorter, which is a bit too fast for me. Busy time of the year in the garden for us maple growers, with less daylight !!!
    A morning with no dew or rain, but colours now popping up everywhere!!
    Anne Irene has all those reds appearing at the lobe edges now. The transition phase is possibly better than the final Autumn colours IMO.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    A little dew this morning in some areas of my garden, made my Anne Irene look rather delicate and pretty.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

12th September 2020 and believe it or not, new growth is everywhere in my garden together with Autumn colours emerging. Temperatures of 31°C expected in a couple of days.
    What is going on !!!?? My Anne Irene looking so beautiful. I don't wan't it to stop now, Lol

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

17th September 2020 and the colours are making a big appearance now, but Anne Irene is still pushing out new growth.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

18th September 2020 and a picture of the whole tree as requsted yesterday.

Attached Files:

Romain01 and LoverOfMaples like this.
  22. LoverOfMaples

Gm @Acerholic. Can't wait until mine grow up like your D!

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples good afternoon D, with your special touch I'm sure it won't be long.

24. Acerholic

20th September 2020 and new growth plus some strange colouring on my maples now. My Anne Irene is showing signs of late rather than early Autumn.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

26th September 2020 when all around is doom and gloom, some maples are still showing new growth however cold it is.
    Anne Irene in particular!!!

Attached Files: