Acer palmatum 'Adrian's Compact'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Kaitain4, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

All-righty then!!! Let's try this one more time, shall we??

Described thusly in the trade:

An upright deciduous shrub with a slow-growing, compact form and lovely small burgundy-red leaves. Fall color includes bright orange and red. Prefers sun/partial shade in well-drained soil. 5' tall x 3' wide in 10 years. Hardy to -20 degrees. USDA zone 5.

And to be sure, this is NOT a witches broom. Many thanks to Sam at Eastfork for making things right. We love you, Sam!

Attached Files:

2. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey K4, the plant that I have has several leaves that have that characteristic short spatulate leaf lobe...so are you absolutely sure that it's not a witches broom?

David

3. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

They say its not, but I'm not an expert on these things.

I've seen the spatulate leaf lobe on other maples that are not Witches Brooms. My Ozakazuki displays them from time to time, and I have seen other full-sized trees do it as well. Not sure what all that means...

4. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Oh! Well there are only 2 or 4 leaves that show the spatulate lobe trait, I think, and it appears to be growing quite vigorously. Even though some WB's grow very aggressively, I don't think that this one looks like one! It look great, actually....

David

5. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

It has been a ho hum tree for a few years but this year the color is looking good. I just wish the mountain beave would not have eatten off a few of the branches.

Attached Files: