Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Elmore, Jan 15, 2004.

1. timnichols

timnichols Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

My first japonicum and still one of my favorites. I'd rather call it by the 'Mai kujaku' name, although I know the 'Aconitifolium'. Shouldn't kujaku be together such as the variegated form 'Kujaku nishiki'?

Attached Files:

2. Ganseki

Ganseki Member

Your absolutley right! In Japanese "kujaku" means Peacock,(or Peahen) and "Mai" means dance.

What's funny..."maiku" means "microphone" and "jaku" means "jerk"(brings back bad images of a horrible DJ at a wedding who wouldn't shut up and just play the music....he was deffinatley a "Maiku Jaku"!)

Thanks for Pointing this out!

3. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Here is mine this fall, last year it colored about the same. I love the orange because it is different than any of my others but it looks nothing like the other Aconitifoliums I've seen that had yellows and purples. Those fall colors were the reason I got one. I purchased this tree as Aconitifolium but now I'm wondering if it is possible that the trees that have the yellow and purple fall color could be a slightly different cultivar? I still don't understand how the Japanese name Maiku jaku turned into Aconitifolium. Is it possible they are different?

Attached Files:

4. Pashalee

Pashalee Member

This is part of my aconitifolium and I hope that the plentifuliness its flowering is an encouraging sign. I own it for less than a year now and I wasn't quite sure how it would turn out this spring.

Attached Files:

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Talking to my Japanese friend yesterday, she corrected me about maiku jaku. Yes, similar to @Ganseki stated:

舞 -Mai - dance
    孔雀- Kujaku - peacock

She actually laughed out loud when I said maiku jaku and said "What are you trying to say?!?" Then she corrected me! "Mai kujaku"

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

This tree is my favorite in fall, grown by Klyn Nursery. In contrast the same variety grown under the Monrovia lable has nice fall color but does not have the diversity of color (last 2 photos).

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I've had this one for just 5 months and today found out that it is often referred to as Dancing Peacock.
    My photos are of Spring and Summer colour 2020. I will update the thread in the Autumn with what I hope is spectacular colours.
    Mine is still in a pot and protected, until it goes in the ground in 2021.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

An update on my Aconitifolium on the 14th July 2020. Hints of Autmn already at the tips to the lobes. I thought I would add this as 2020 is turning out to be rather different for my trees.

Attached Files:

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  9. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

I would love to see this one in Autumn!

10. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, good morning Luke, I will post and show in the Autumn. I'm looking forward to seeing so many collections this year and yours is going to be 'very special' I think. But let's not wish away Summer just yet, lol.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  11. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Yes let’s enjoy it. The winter is soooo long.

12. Acerholic

August 5th 2020, just taken a photo of my Aconitifolium new bud, that I thought I would share.

Attached Files:

13. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Please tell me what is the significance of a new Aconitifolium bud in early August. Still got a lot to learn!

14. Acerholic

@Margot, good morning Margot, I am always worried about new growth so late in the season, as it will be too soft to cope with early frosts. This bud will push out probably in September and probably be hit in October, causing death of the shoot.
    The other reason for adding this, is that it did look nice for the maple photo gallery.

15. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    I just thought I would show how after all the heat, my Aconitifolium is producing new shoots. They do cope better than we think with extremes !!!

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

22nd August 2020 an update on the tiny new growth. It's getting there.
    No heat forecast for the rest of August so all should be fine. I will update soon.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

5th September 2020 and the diary continues, each day has a new colour on the leaves now. And tbh some rather strange colours this year. Nothing strange about the way my Aconitifolium is turning though!!

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    The changes are happening so fast now on my Aconitifolium, all the colours of the rainbow so very soon. But today a blend of deep reds and greens.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

12th September 2020 and believe it or not, new growth is everywhere in my garden together with Autumn colours emerging. Temperatures of 31°C expected in a couple of days.
    But my Aconitifolium continues to darken to those dark leaves it is well known for at this time of the year. So something behaving as it should!!!

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

24th September 2020 and Autumn has really hit home quickly. Cold nights and lots of rain already. But raindrops on colourful leaves is why Autumn is a favorite for so many of us Maple enthusiasts.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

3rd October 2020 and so much rain everywhere is flooding. But my Aconitifolium which is sheltered, was full of lovely colours this morning.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

8th October 2020 and after seeing other Aconitifolium's yesterday I thought I would add mine from this morning. So many bright and vivid colours atm, it was looking quite pretty in the morning rain and sunshine.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

13th October 2020 and my Aconitifolium is at its best now. Multiple colours abound.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

15th October 2020 and I wanted to show how quickly the leaves turn on Aconitifolium. Some maples only colour up for a very short while in Autumn.

Attached Files: