Acer cappadocicum ssp. lobelii

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Laurie, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer cappadocicum ssp. lobelii - Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle, accession 1958.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Acer cappadocicum ssp. lobelli

Commonly treated as a distinct species Acer lobelii, and endemic to southern Italy (not Asia as claimed by their label!).

I'm very doubtful of this specimen's identification; the leaves are stated to be "five-lobed, smaller leaves often three-lobed ... never seven-lobed" (Bean, Trees & Shrubs Hardy in the British Isles)

3. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thank-you for pointing out the error on the label; they are aware that several of their labels may not be correct, and I will make a note to include this one. (I believe that it is actually volunteers from the Arboretum Foundation who provide these lovely legible green labels, which frankly are quite new, and as a member, I really hope to make time to assist in the project of correcting errors.) This older tree truly does put up suckers, whose leaves are the distinctly five-lobed ones in the photograph above. Attached below is photograph of a young tree I just bought for my mom (in USDA Z6) with just those same shaped leaves, but I am having second thoughts about the purchase because of those suckers!

Van Gelderen in both Maples of the World (1994) and Maples for Gardens (1999) lists this species as having five lobes, but the photograph on page 46 of the later citation matches exactly the photograph of the older leaves above. The photograph on page 46 taken of the tree in the Hillier Arboretum shows one of a tighter vase shape, however.

In Proceedings of the International Maple Symposium 2002 (Westonbirt Arboretum) it is noted that Acer cappadocicum has four subspecies. I understand these to be (van Gelderen 1994):
    A. cappadocicum ssp. cappadocicum
    A. cappadocicum ssp. divergens
    A. cappadocicum ssp. lobelii
    A. cappadocicum ssp. sinicum.

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

At one time graduate students were working on labeling. Maybe the suckers with extra lobes are rootstock sprouts.

Jacobson (1996) gives the 1993 dimensions of one of the Seattle specimens as 57' x 4'7".

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The root suckers could well be Acer cappadocicum (ssp. cappadocicum) rootstock on which it was grafted - this applies to several specimens of A. lobelii in Britain.

If your new plant is on its own roots, you shouldn't get any suckers.