A wonderful honor, a new species published as Anthurium boosii Croat

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by photopro, Sep 29, 2009.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

There are few honors given to those that love plants greater than having a living plant species named in your honor. I am more than pleased to announce to the world of plant lovers, collectors and growers that my friend Julius Boos of West Palm Beach, FL was given just such an honor on the evening of September 19, 2009 at the International Aroid Show in Miami, FL.

The IAS has its own discussion group known as Aroid l. Rather than a forum such as this the group is a mail server list which is where the "L" in Aroid l originated. When I first joined the International Aroid Society there was always this "voice" on Aroid l. Something told me it was a "booming" voice but I wouldn't hear it ring for several years. http://www.aroid.org/aroid_l/

That west Indian "voice" belongs to Julius Boos whom some of us now jokingly call "Uncle Crazy". You simply have to hang out with Julius for a day or two to understand why he has gained that handle but I promise, it isn't because he is nuts!.

Julius grew up on the island of Trinidad and has done some of the craziest things you can imagine during his 63 years of life. Many of us have been privileged to read of his outlandish adventures while wishing we were right there with him. He's worked with botanists to grant names to new plant species, he's traveled to exotic destinations, he's worked in the oil fields of South America, he's written scientific articles and he's devised more "recipes" and eaten more aroids than any living human! If you are among those that believe all aroid species are poisonous then Julius is living proof those stories are often not based in science.

Julius is also one of the most kind and brilliant people I've ever had the privilege to know. I don't think he'll scold me for telling this story but Julius has no degree and was taken out of school when he was very young. I've never been able to understand why but someone thought this man with an IQ that may well defy being measured couldn't cope in school. Believe me, Uncle Crazy should have been the Superintendent of Schools for the entire Caribbean!

On my personal Exotic Rainforest website there is one page that is visited more than any other and that page is about an exotic Impatiens species which is known all over the world as the "Rare Thailand Parrot Flower". That page is visited by close to 50,000 people per year and was encouraged by Julius. http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Rare Thailand Parrot Flower SP.html

Julius has since become one of my most respected friends and someone I turn to all the time for aroid information and advice on virtually any plant question. I'm far from the only one that feels that way. The depth of Julius' knowledge is immense and his incredible intellect on many scientific subjects quickly astounds anyone that "sits at his feet" to learn.

Lots of people feel the same way as do I and if you haven't had the opportunity to meet Ju-Bo then you must make plans to attend the IAS Show and Sale next year in Miami. No person is ever disappointed since you'll make a friend for life.

In the early summer of 2009 Julius was diagnosed with several forms of cancer which now affect his liver, femur and possibly his pancreas. It was a great honor for those of us that were privileged to be at the annual IAS dinner one week ago Saturday night to watch Dr. Tom Croat of the Missouri Botanical Garden present Julius with an award declaring a new Anthurium species will be published to science. That species will be known to the world of botanical science as Anthurium boosii Croat and I'll be beating down doors to find a specimen to grow in my personal collection.

With the help of Ted Held I attempted to photograph the award given to Julius earlier in the day on Saturday afternoon but a variety of photographic problems made the images far less than I wanted to present here. If you've ever tried to photograph anything under glass you'll understand. Fortunately Tom had sent the photographs that would be a part of the presentation a few days earlier so I've managed to literally "cut and paste" an approximation of Julius' award together for you to see.

My wife Janice and I plan to be at the Missouri Botanical Garden in early December and I will photograph the rare specimen of Anthurium boosii that is in the MOBOT collection in detail. Shortly after that I'll be adding a very special page to the ER website to honor our mutual friend. I'll make all of you aware when the page goes on-line so all can see more detail of this beautiful Anthurium species that now honors Julius' work.

Although I've had to cut it in half I purposely left the images I'm posting as large as possible since I wanted each and everyone to be able to see and read the text near actual size.

Julius, I know many of us considers you a kindred spirit and you are as close to a brother as I've ever known. You are without any doubt one of the most loved people in the International Aroid Society and your work on the board of governors will always be appreciated.

We all want you to know how much you are respected for your friendship and service to the IAS. Your knowledge of and adoration for the plant species many of us love to grow makes you a very special friend. Thanks for all the advice and guidance you have given to us all. You deserve a plant from every genera of Araceae named in your honor!

I know for certain many others are repeating almost every word I've just written to themselves. You are a dear friend to each of us and even though you know I can't stand due to the loss of my legs I'm now "on my feet" with a raised glass!! Thanks Julius.

Salud!

Steve

If you'd like to learn more about the International Aroid Society please click either of these links:
    http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Join IAS.html

http://www.aroid.org/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. photopro

3. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Active Member

Steve,

Thanks very much for posting this review. I was pleased to have been at the banquet to see Tom's presentation of the new species in Julius' honor and it was an honor to meet Julius.

It really is a handsome plant too. I look forward to seeing any pictures that you might get of the MOBOT specimen.

Devin

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Thanks so much, Steve! Shoot, it's from the same general region as my new one, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

5. photopro

Beth, I can give you exact GPS coordinates. I'll send them privately.

6. lorax

Thanks!

7. photopro

If you find it..................I want it!
    Steve

8. lorax

LOL, of course.

9. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

What an honor for Julius!! And a nice looking plant..

Ed

10. photopro

Glad to hear from you Ed!