a succulent i am trying to identify

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Jin tAar, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Jin tAar

Jin tAar New Member

I am trying to match a name to a plant I have owned twice now. Description as best as my nonbotanic background can provide: Flat leaves very close in shape. thickness, etc to leaves on a jade plant, but velvety to the touch. Plant shape and growth pattern very close visually to that of a jade plant. Outter rim of leaves sprout tines? thorns? clawlike or toothlike extensions. The larger a leaf, the more claws it has. Claws are not hard like cacti spines, but still have a rigidity to them and are not squishes without breaking. Sorry, I cannot remember the actual color of the plants, and have no pictures. Could not find picturse of one on the internet though I image searched for succulent plants, Echeveria, and Crassula (among other combinations). Nothing I found looked close enough.

What I would want to know:
    what is it?

how do I keep them alive if I find one again?

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. Jin tAar

Jin tAar New Member

If you crossed that with a jade plant, and put teeny 'claws' on the brown/red spots on the leaves it would be the plant I'd had. I looked at the link, and used the two latin names and think I found my teddybear paws plant. i remember the leaves being much thinner, but that could be a subvariety thing. Thanks!!! It looks like the plant I am searching for is a variation of the Cotyledon tomentosa: http://www.sedumphotos.net/v/succulent+a-cr/Cotyledon+tomentosa+_1_.jpg.html

now I can try and find one online! :)