A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I noticed that J.L. Hudson in California is offering a lot more Calendula varieties this season, Katalina, so I might pick up some more types this winter. That's where I got the ones you have in the 1st place. If I do get more, I'll send some along, to go with the Triangle Flashbacks...

Don't worry about sending anything back to me though...omg if you could only see my fridge, Katalina! I think there are more seeds in there, than there is food!!!

: o

Here's some shots I took of some of my Hollyberry shrubs today...I was in a rush so the quality of the shots isn't that great, but you get the idea...

: )

Attached Files:

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

It always amazes me how little birds don't prick themselves on Holly going for the berries.

Them are full of fruit HBL and look good.

lol at the fridge contents.

Calendula really are my fav and I can't wait to get started. Thanks about more this winter!

3. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Great shots Sherry.

4. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    I have an unheated greenhouse and conservatory

Are you telling us that in an unheated greenhouse on can grow thing or at least prepare to grow things in or at the middle>end of winter.
    I have not bought one as I thought it needs to be heated all winter long etc.
    I have a 8x5m2 elevated concrete patio /semi shade between the two garages up at the back of our home..
    at my south facing window here in North Burnaby in Vancouver I have 19C against the wall in middle of January.. CRAZY..
    The exposure would be the same but not FULL sun as there are two semi dense pine trees. and naturally the back does not have a vertical 5m wall as the house here offers..
    I have an elevated flower bed with a Rock wall maybe I should make that into green house but its narrow only 3feet x 15 feet.. much smaller.. but quite protected due to a decorative vetical cypress bush.
    I think I must make a photo that would explain better.
    There is so much we can do even with the snow.

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks Kat and Pen!

My Hollyberry shrubs are quite young yet, but they are doing beautifully. I am going to buy 4 more baby shrubs this Spring, and plant them around back - where I'll see them from my living room window.

I am fond of Blue Prince & Blue Princess, although I have Blue Boy & Blue Girl as well. I could start some new plants from cuttings of course, but they are so slow growing that I like to just buy them from the nursery.

They were so beautiful to look at over Christmas because Hollyberry is such a notorious part of it. The tenants really enjoy all my choices around here. I love Hollyberry shrubs most especially because they are evergreen and look gorgeous all throughout winter - and the rest of the year too.

By the way, Kat...

Here's the other kinds of calendula that J.L. Hudson is offering currently and that I'm thinking of getting...

~ Black-centered Golden Princess
    ~ Black-centered Orange Princess
    ~ Pacific Beauty Mix
    ~ Solis Sponsa

For those that don't realize...

Calendula is a "Pot Marigold". A hardy annual that grows 1-2 feet tall. Cultivated since 1573 for the showy flowers which are used in broths, soups, conserves, and for coloring butter.

Also has many medicinal uses, and was mentioned in herbals as early as Albertus Magnus' 13th century work. The petals were said to 'comfort the heart and spirits'.

"No broths are well made without dried marigold petals" ~ Stevens 1699

The fresh petals are colorful in salads. The single flowered varieties are closest to the wild anscestor, and the double types produce an abundance of petals for the kitchen.

Should be in every cook's garden...

6. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

7. The Hollyberry Lady

I am not surprised, Kat! So useful...yet so beautiful as well.

Let me know what you think of those types I listed when you get a chance, and if you think they'd be worth getting...

8. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Ok, now you have me convinced Sherry, that i need some hollyberry shrubs in my gardens this year.......very nice.

I have some calendula seeds, not sure what kind, but i will plant them soon just to see. Its neat too that its such an old plant and with medicinal uses.

9. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

See, and I'm also fond of Calendula flowers in soups - they're decorative and add an interesting spicy note.

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Very cool Pen, that you will get a Hollyberry shrub!!

: o

You gotta have a boy and a girl to ensure berry production. I like the shrubs from the nursery where a small male branch is grafted onto the female and you can stick that part at the back. The males don't produce berries, but their flowers are needed to pollinate the female blossoms that do produce fruits.

Great, you have some calendula seeds Penny. Be sure to show us some pics later...

Very cool, Beth!

11. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Thanks for the tip on the shrubs Sherry, i didnt realize that, so i will be sure to look for that.

12. The Hollyberry Lady

For instance, Pen...

See how on my Blue Princess female shrub in the pic, there is a part of the shrub (top right) where there are no berries? This is the male branch (Blue Prince) that has been grafted onto the female shrub.

The reason this is done, is so that you don't have to have a whole male shrub taking up room that will never produce fruits.

The male shrubs are attractive too though, in my opinion, and stay green and gorgeous all winter as well. It's just an option if you don't want one.

Attached Files:

13. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Ah ok, thats good to know......so the key is to get a male and a female plant.......any specific planting instructions?

14. The Hollyberry Lady

I worked some excellent nitrogen rich compost from a friend's farm into the soil before planting my new shrubs.

If you keep them fertilized well with lots of nitrogen throughout the growing months, they will be a luxurious green color all year long.

They're quite easy to care for, and you will love the Christmas beauty that Hollyberry brings to the garden all year long.

15. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Cool, thanks, good to know and nice to get advice from someone who grows them :)

16. vicarious1

Mmm I got a 5m near Egg shaped varigated female Hollyberry tree infront of the house WANT A PIECE by mail ?? can you root it again if I wet wrap it and send by mail in spring it is ONE WHITISH/PINK BLOOM its amazing and its a favorite for birds to hide in...Summer and Winter... I have a dark green one growing in a concrete crack in the back by the garage I actually dont want it there as the roots may push the wall down so if I can get it out I guess the 2 foot tree would make a good start up :-)in another place .
    Do your recommend planting it NEXT to the blooming Hollyberry female?

17. The Hollyberry Lady

As long as it is near the female, it can still pollinate her, but they don't have to be right next to each other.

That tree sounds lovely Vic...thank you. I would like to give it a try. Just wet~wrap the bottom of the cutting, not the whole thing ~ or it could rot!

I am willing to share cuttings of this shrub in Spring too! This was my 2009 Calicarpa, "Beautyberry"...

Attached Files:

18. vicarious1

I love the Beauty Berry bush there are some here in town 2-3m tall that make me stop always . In the nursery some meager 1foor tall or standard 2-3 feet goes from 69$ upwards... :-) greedy greedy I guess time = money :-) whooo 2 smilies in one posting will I be shot down in high flight ?

19. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I never think of flowers for food decoration or adding to food. What kind of taste Lorax, or no taste?

And the Holly tree as we call them, we can buy self fertilzing ones. I always meant to buy one, just never got round to it somehow.

No Vic.

Lets not go over old ground about the smilies. We *have* to keep to subjects/topic as in the first posting of the thread. Also text smiley is allowed because they don't show as a graphic.

20. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Vic, the shrub you have sounds really pretty too.

Sherry......i LOVE purple shrub you have, gorgeous!

21. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Quote:
    See, and I'm also fond of Calendula flowers in soups
    I never think of flowers for food decoration or adding to food. What kind of taste Lorax, or no taste?

Hi,
    Arugula and borage flowers taste great, the latter having a French saying, that eating them makes one happy. The arugula tastes as itself with a spot of nectar, great as a garnish for tomatoes in addition to chives. The beautiful blue borage tastes like cucumbers and I pick the petals out of the calyx as it is a bit prickly.
    Chives and garlic chive flowers are, of course, oniony.
    So far, I have stuck to veggie flowers tho daughter says that calendulas, as mentioned by Lorax are good in the kitchen too.
    And I have seen squash flowers for sale at oriental markets. They are apparently delicious deep fried, maybe alongside those chrysanthemum leaves as done by the Japanese?
    And then , of course, there are the Bach herbla flower remedies but I know nothing about that.

Looking forward to feasting my eyes on some spring flowers fairly soon as the snowdrop leaves are poking thru now.

D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  22. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Hi Dana.....i'm with you, cant wait for Spring and see some flowers!!

23. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Kat:

Calendula flowers are like Marigolds - sort of spicy with a Calendulaish flavour - hints of black pepper, and an astringent note that goes particularly well with Borscht since it tones down the natural sweetness of the beets.

I also like Pansy flowers with desserts - these are mild and sweet, and of course rose petals with ice cream (best from Floribundas). I'm fond of crystallized Borage flowers as well - the process of preserving them takes out the pricklyness, and also candied, Sweet Cicely flowers especially with cakes.

And to be truly South American about it, I'm fond of Sobralia orchids as an ice-cream flavour.

24. The Hollyberry Lady

I have a whole book...somewhere...about the edible and decorative uses for flowers.

Kat...

Vicarious and I are pals, and he was only making a light-hearted crack about my smilies. He knows all about how I like to use them to express emotion, as we email quite often. No worries.

25. Nath

Nath Active Member

Hi Vic,

I have all my citrus trees that I havent acclimatised to the British winter as yet in the greenhouse and my baby palms, I only filled the Parrafin heater and lit it when it went down to -8, having said that I have a grapefruit tree, an orange and a Mandarin all doing very well outside despite all our frosts and snow. There is always something you can grow. I put my Begonias in there to overwinter them too.

Nath