20210919 - Campbell River - Forest Fungi Frolic! - Sep 19 & 25 2021

Discussion in 'Archived Events' started by Heather Soo, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Heather Soo

Heather Soo New Member

Hello! In honour of National Forest Week, we have a few in-person fungi themed events planned in Campbell River. Check out the link to the Canadian Institute of Forests Event page for more info on these one-hour forays into our local trust lands. The events run from 3-4pm on September 19th and 25th. Stay tuned for more info or email me if interested!

Forest Fungi Frolic (BC) | Forestry

If you are not in the northern Vancouver Island area but interested in other forest-themed events, please check the other in-person and online events planned across Canada to celebrate National Forest Week:

Info and Online Events: Participate in National Forest Week | Forestry
    Events Calendar: Upcoming Events | Forestry
    (go to September 19-25)

If you would like to know more about the host, Canadian Institute of Forestry - Vancouver Island Section, please check out our web and FB page:
    Vancouver Island | Forestry

Thank you!
    [​IMG]

Frog likes this.
  2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thank you for posting @Heather Soo - Nice to see an event for Campbell River!

Heather Soo likes this.
  3. Frog

Also @Heather Soo ... I am trusting that the Canadian Institute of Forestry has taken a public position opposing Old Growth logging and in favour of sustainable logging and other forestry practices? I am not familiar with your group and this has not yet leaped out at me from the website. Can you guide me to a relevant link? Thanks!

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I had a look, and I'm seeing discussions like "Last Stand for Old Growth Forests and Protected Lands" and "Species in Peril: How can Forestry and Species-at-Risk Co-Exist?" at their annual conference ( http://www.cif-ifc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/2021-Conference-at-a-Glance_Draft_8-25-2021.pdf ) as well as an older position paper that went beyond what the Gov't of Canada actually implemented for a federal Species at Risk Act: http://www.cif-ifc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Canadian_Species_at_Risk.pdf

Heather Soo and Frog like this.
  5. Frog

6. Heather Soo

Heather Soo New Member

Thank you for doing the work for me, Daniel! The CIF has not specifically taken a position against OG logging that I was able to find, but appears to provide a platform for conversation about it.