Yellow Ocitillo

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by carole, Jun 18, 2010.

1. carole

carole Member

I was in Big Bend Natl Park in April shortly after they had some rain. Everything was in bloom, there were millions of red ocitillos, but after traveling/hiking all over the park, we spotted a yellow ocitillo. The park ranger later said he had never heard of such a thing and I can't find anything on the net that refers to one being yellow. I know someone somewhere would be interested in knowing about this but do not know who to contact in the plant research world. Photos attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2010
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The Sunset Plant Finder lists the species as having:

...so, the colour variant is known to occur. Still, quite special when you find something like this -- perhaps it occurs in 1 in 10 000 plants? 1 in 100 000?

Would you happen to have GPS coordinates? Big Bend is on my "one day I will visit there" list.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'm used to this being spelled ocotillo, as it is at the Sunset page D. linked to above.

4. carole

carole Member

HI - sorry, but I was with friends and they were driving and I just happened to look up, saw it and yelled "Stop!" took photos and went on. I think it rained in that area today, so maybe visitors to the park next week will get to see the cactus in bloom and may spot this unusual ocotillo. A really pretty site to see for sure.