Rhododendrons: Yellow leaves on Rhododendrons

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Unregistered, Aug 20, 2004.

1. I have 3 plants but one has many leaves near the bottom of the plant turning yellow then brown and falling off. Some of the leaves have small black spots. I looked at the info you have on this site but didnt see anything that looked quite like this. Bugs or sickness ? I think the plants are about 5 years old.

2. misssuzie

misssuzie Member

I have 3 that doing the same thing.
    Mine has only been in the ground one season.

I was wondering the same thing!

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The timing is odd, normally the old leaves would be shed at another time of year. Check soil moisture, maybe they are too wet. Rhododendrons are susceptible to root rot, must have a well-drained, well-aerated soil. Another frequent problem here is rhododendron mildew.

4. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi

As Ron gave the good advice above A pic would be worth a thousand words/ any chance of fertilizer burn

regards Doug

5. misssuzie

misssuzie Member

Yes that is possible. (Fertilzer burn)
    They are on a slope may be I need to poke some holes
    around that area. I dug a good hole but maybe the soil is a little compacted in that area.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you used soil amendments (peat, bark, sand, potting soil) that could be the problem. Amended planted holes dug out of damp, heavy soils tend to collect water. Amended planting holes also tend to lose water to surrounding unamended native soil during dry conditions. We had 30 days without rain recently.