Wrong label?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Morning all.

I am going through my plants and labelling them up when I came across this. Pretty sure it’s wrong. It claims to be a Wilson’s Pink Dwarf, and when I bought it earlier this year it was very hard to tell. However, now I’m thinking it’s Seiryu but thought I’d run it past some expert sets of eyes.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Yes, it's absolutely not Wilson's pink dwarf and most likely seiryu. Give it a little more time. I have seen green lace leaf cultivars look like this and then once they get some good growth start to form a mounding habit. In 1-3 years you will know for certain.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  3. Luke’s Maples

Thanks JT1 - I had a feeling you’d be the one to reply first!

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Luke, totally agree with JT1. Can I also reccomend a book to buy. It is tbh the bible for maple lovers. ' Japanese Maples The complete guide to selection and cultivation, by JD Vertreees & Peter Gregory'. Think it's the fourth edition atm. You won't regret buying it. Amazon or World books have it.

5. Luke’s Maples

Just having a look now. Amazon have it reduced to £23.99. Might have to sneak it into a basket

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for the + feedback! You know the book @Acerholic recommend. Funny story, I let my wife take mine on a trip and she came back a few days later with a wish list. She caught the bug. Before that she would think the idea of a landscape of Japanese maples was crazy. It was a fun journey making our garden together. Now we both love it and enjoy the beauty and tranquility our garden provides. She says the maples are like her children!

So anyway get the book and give your wife a chance to check it out! Maybe she will catch the bug too.

7. Luke’s Maples

That’s so cool. I do hope that she catches the bug. The book is on order. Thanks guys.