Worm on my Cherry Tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by sean86114, May 5, 2014.

1. sean86114

sean86114 Member

can someone tell me what to do to get rid of this annoying worms that has been feeding my cherry leaves and FRUIT(pic #2)!!! I have this tree for 2 years now. I thought it was the ant that it was eating the fruit last year and I applied tanglefoot (honey-like glue) around the trunk of my Cherry tree before the bud are even open, I have NO idea how those worms got into the tree!!! there are quite abit of them, I have picked at least 10-20 worms within 30mins... can you guys please identify the worm and tell me how to get rid of them. please check out the pictures...

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

A looper caterpillar of some sort, not finding a good ID in a quick glance at our print resources. Eggs would be laid by moths.

As for control, likely repeated applications of products with BtK would work - or hand-picking, with some help from the chickadees.

3. sean86114

sean86114 Member

Thanks for the reply, my question is how did these worms got onto the tree since I applied the tanglefoot right after the frost(before the buds are even open)

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Adult moths can fly to lay eggs.