World's oldest potted plant given new home..

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by togata57, Jul 30, 2009.

1. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Wednesday, July 29, 2009: Royal Botanic Gardens (Kew) has given what is thought to be the world's oldest potted plant a new home. Brought to Kew by Francis Masson in the 1770s, the cycad (Encephalartos altensteinii) is 234 years old. Its native home is the Eastern Cape region of South Africa. The plant's move required a crane and a full complement of staff members.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Gather there's some bonsai in Japan that have been in pots for over 250 years, so their claim to have the oldest pot plant is wrong

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hey---I don't make the news, I just report it!
    So describe to us these bonsai, Michael! Am sure that story would be of equal---if not, in fact, greater---interest to that of the Kew cycad. Shall await fascinating detail.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

I flew to London, to attend the Chelsea flower show (one of the worlds greatest flower shows). While in London I visited Kew and seen the "worlds oldest potted plant" cycad. Kew Gardens has a sign placed adjacent to the plant claiming the oldest distinction. Oldest or not, it is a very impressive cycad. It looks like a 20 or 30 foot snake because of the length it has grown. - Millet (1,259-)