Wollemia has disturbing symptoms

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by filbie, May 19, 2014.

1. filbie

filbie New Member

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and just registered today in hopes that you fine people might be able to help me and give me some good news.

I am the owner of a Wollemia nobilis that my now husband gave me over 4 years ago.
    For the past few years it has suffered because I had sub-par growing conditions for it (not enough light and slight dehydration) and has also been through several moves in the past few years.

I am concerned now because it has rapidly started dropping branches from the base upward on one side. Where the branches fall off doesn't look like normal abscission because there is heavy sap flow coming from the wound.
    I am concerned it is infected by a pathogen of some sort.

I love this plant and would hate to see it succumb to whatever is happening right now. I snapped some quick photos with my phone of the issue.
    I will add that I have recently moved to Virginia coming from Michigan.
    The link to the album is here: http://imgur.com/a/SBwvq#0

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Resin flow is normal from branch abscission in the whole of the family Araucariaceae, so I'd not worry about that.

Looks to me like the pot is too small, give it more root growing space, and it'll be able to support a larger crown with less branch loss.