Wisteria training question (not a flowering question)

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by troiano, Jun 3, 2009.

1. troiano

troiano Member

Hi all. As I stated in my 1st post, I have planted Amethyst Falls Wisteria at the base of my 5 pergola/deck supports. Can I prune the vine as it goes up my posts, only allowing it to branch out, once it reaches the top, so that it will form a dense canope? I've seen pictures of Asian Wisteria, where you see bare vine, then at the top of a structure it explodes into a sheet of foliage. Will American Wisteria do this same thing? When I search out pictures of Wisteria covered pergolas, I finds lots of Asian wisteria pictures, but havent found any using American Wisteria.

Anyone else out there using Amethyst Falls Wisteria for this? I'm begining to think I need to replant and use Asian Wisteria. Looking for some reasurance I have the right vine.

Thank you for any replys,
    Jeff in Mt Juliet TN

2. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have 2 Wysteria of unknown heritage, came from my brother, one's on my pergola, the other is trained as a standard and was potted year before last. It's the kind that leafs out before it flowers. I'll try to remember to take some pictures of both of them and post them later today or tomorrow.

3. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here it is. I give it s good pruning at least 3 times a year to keep it manageable and I have to be constantly on the look out for growth at ground level.

Attached Files:

4. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Wow - what a lovely spot you have there! Thanks for the great shot.

: )