Where to buy roses in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Taren Urquhart, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Taren Urquhart

Taren Urquhart New Member

I am looking to buy a rose bush as a retirement gift. Can you suggest a Lower Mainland nursery that supplies excellent rose stock for our Vancouver climate.
    Thanks
    T

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I assume the recipient is already an experienced gardener and also has a garden where roses do well?

any deer? (roses and deer ... )

Have a look around this website Main Page

I'm an impatient gardener so I like some of what I off-handishly refer to as "mall roses" ... ones that survive public planted areas. Examples are the ones you see at the nursery being sold in pale pink plant pots - branded as "Flower Carpet". I like apple blossom - a pale pink. (and I agree with the person who wrote this article: The New Generation of Flower Carpet Roses. Color Me Impressed! - FineGardening )

https://tesselaar.com/

the others I like are the Rugosas - very scented - more like a hedge rose ... if your retiring colleague likes Canadian history - there are the Explorer series - there are also Parkland roses (very hardy to cold, also) ... both of these I believe came out of the Morden federal gov't old agric research station in Manitoba.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I should have added to my previous post - most of the good nurseries will have minimal inventory right now because it's winter - although for people at the coast it's a great time of year to plant (all that natural irrigation falling out of the sky) - you likely won't find much selection to purchase.

So if the gift presentation is soon (when inventory is low) - maybe you could get a gift card for one of the nurseries - and some little spring bulbs you find outside places like Whole Foods - already planted and on the way to blooming. Depending on where your recipient lives - you've got good nurseries all the way from the North Shore to Southlands (The Flats south of SW Marine Drive) and then out in the Valley if your gardener colleague doesn't mind the drive.

North Shore: Dykhof .... Maple Leaf (Lynn Valley and on Marine Dr in W Van) ... isn't there a Gardenworks somewhere too?
    Southlands: well, Southlands Nursery is the well-known destination. There are others.
    Steveston - I know someone who swears by the summer container plants out there somewhere
    etc
    etc

my neighbor buys bare root roses and obviously does well with them (he is a very experienced gardener) - but I think I'd get something that's' already semi-established in a nursery container.

BTW - my fav plant nurseries are on the Sunshine Coast - so if you visit (take the ferry from West Van to Langdale) - there are several I like to go to -
    1. Quality Farm on Pratt Road (turn at the intersection where you see Starbucks and tim Hortons)
    2. B&K on Pratt Road (turn at the same intersection)
    3. Jardin de Flores out on Hiway 101 in Roberts Creek - wonderful family - knowledgeable - I think a lot of the professional gardeners go to her to source plants. she looks for plants year round by special request - and even then, the wholesalers don't have avail for her to bring back for her clients right now cuz it's winter (I know, I'm looking for a certain rhodo right now)
    4. there's a cute little nursery out on East Porpoise Bay Road in Sechelt - can't recall its name.
    end of list

4. HollyHok

HollyHok Active Member

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I moved away from the Lower Mainland 13 years ago but remember that Select Roses (Brad Jalbert) was an esteemed source of roses there and presume is still.
    Home - Select Roses

6. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

I was just going to suggest Select Roses. But they may be closed for the winter.

7. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Yes Select Roses are/is closed right now. Like many such specialty stores its future is questionable since everyone wants to pay Home Depot prices.