when will my phalanopsis going to flower again?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by jumbojimmy, Dec 14, 2006.

1. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

my phalanopsis has finished flowering since august. Now it's december..is it possible to induce this plant to flower again soon? or do i have to wait for next year? I'm too impatient to wait that long.

2. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Hadn't thought of forcing flowering in Phallies but here is a website that has some info.
    http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/recreation/orchidcongress/cculture/phalaenopsis.html

It seems to say that by dropping the night temps down to 14C
    (about 57F) that flowering can be induced.

3. James D.

James D. Active Member

phalanopsis orchids can bloom more then once a year, but it is healthier for it too take a little break to get some more energy. just keep it on a good schedule of wattering and fertillizing, and make sure that it isn't over watered and that it has proper drainage. water it about once every 2 weeks in the winter and every week in the summer and fertillize it about once every 3 weeks in the spring/summer. sadly, if you are very impatient you shouldn't be growing orchids, they can take a long time to get to re-bloom without proper care.

4. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

my pha is looking healthy...keeps developing new leaves, and also new roots appearing...but the roots tend to grow on top of the orchid mix and later become wrinkled and dry.

what could be the reason for that? do i have to mist those roots in order to keep them from drying out?

thanks for your help.

well, i love when orchids flower - they tend to brighten up the house a bit unlike "fake" flowers displaying in my house.

5. terrestrial_man

Phallys seem to grow long roots. Perhaps this is a genetic adaptation that has allowed the genus to survive as it does in trees and along the sides of cliffs. These kinds of roots allow for a more secure anchorage and extend the surface area of absorption.
    Misting of these roots should be in regards to your relative humidity though if in a home misting would be easier than complete watering of all the roots. Mist the roots daily but keep the crown of the plant dry.

6. Karthik sumathi

Karthik sumathi Member

Phaelonpsis leaf is getting yellowish. Please inform growth cycle

7. terrestrial_man

Karthik sumathi
    Please tell us more about your plant. Do you have an image you can post?
    How are you growing it?
    What kind of growing mix is it in?
    How often do you water?
    How cold does it get?
    This will help us help you.