what to do

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by busybea, May 7, 2007.

1. busybea

busybea Active Member

Re: can someone identify this ground cover flower?

i dont know about gardens i moved to an acerage in jan. i have lots of plants and rose bushes the gardens have been growing wild for 6 years im afraid to pull anything i dont know flowers from weeds help

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: can someone identify this ground cover flower?

Spend a year or two seeing what is there and what it all does, then keep the ones you like and jerk the ones you don't. If something is crowded or shaded, that looks like it might blossom into something nice if given some help clip pieces and show them to trusted nursery personnel or other sources and ask them what they might be.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would always wait for a year to see what your garden produces before doing the big clean out. It is probably fine if you know what you are looking at. But in a case like yours, yes I would mark things, use photographs if you can and ask on this list if you are not sure what you have. You might know some things as weeds. So maybe you can make a start on them, or a drive way, or clear paths, fix a fence, so you feel as tho something is happening. Hope you find lots of suprises. There may be some lovely bulbs hidden under there as well.

Liz

4. busybea

busybea Active Member

thank you liz i have tulips comming up also strawberries but lots of grass mixed in should i pull the grass .and u r right lots bulbs i will send pictures after blooming im so excited every day i find a surprise

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(merged threads and posts)

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you are happy that it is grass and weeds give them a tug out if they come up easily otherwise wait till the bulb foliage dies down at the end of the season. Not sure what month that is at yr. end of the world but it is April/may (autumn) around here when they lift the bulbs for sale.

Liz