Identification: What cherry? Not in Vancouver - White doubles, very late blooming

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by wcutler, May 27, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This is a single tree in Evergreen-Washelli Cemetery in Seattle, on the east side at the north end. It has fluffy white blossoms that look a lot like Shogetsu, with fringed edges, but it's still white when the nearby Shogetsu is now pale pink, and the pedicels are very short to medium and the peduncles are very short to seemingly absent. The sepals have long narrow serious-looking teeth. The leaf edges are pretty amazing too. It has what looks like a flower within the flower on one of the blossoms.
    20080426_SeattleWashelli_DoubleWhite_Cutler_6901r.JPG 20080426_SeattleWashelli_DoubleWhite_Cutler_6902r.JPG 20080426_SeattleWashelli_DoubleWhite_Cutler_6903r.JPG
    20080426_SeattleWashelli_DoubleWhite_Cutler_6905r.JPG 20080426_SeattleWashelli_DoubleWhite_Cutler_6927r.JPG 20080426_SeattleWashelli_DoubleWhite_Cutler_6918r.JPG

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Flowers in second picture becoming pink. Leaf coverage uneven, with many deformed. Unless a similar rare variety probably a diseased or damaged (lawn herbicide, perhaps?) 'Shogetsu'. Many other Japanese flowering cherries in the region have obvious problems or aberrations. Probably much stock has been propagated and sold with virus infestations.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks, Ron. I give up. It seemed to have a lot of short pedicels, to say nothing of invisible peduncles, so unusual for 'Shogetsu', which usually has very long stems so has much more drooping blossoms. I suppose if it's going to be deformed, anything about it could be deformed.

It finally occurred to me that the spikes on the sepal edges reminded me of a photo of the Barclay St. Ukon/Gyoiko whatzit, but this seems too white (not-yellow) to be that, and I'd thought too late, but the "Ukon or what" photo was taken in Vancouver on June 1, 2008, a week later than these photos. I'm not sure I member seeing an extra sepal on 'Shogetsu' either, but I have on 'Ukon'. I'm sure I didn't think it was 'Ukon' at the time.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Wouldn't be either of those. New leaves (except where deformed) and habit typical 'Shogetsu'. If there was a definite 'Shogetsu' nearby I would have held a good sample of this one next to it to see how they compared visually.

Despite efforts of nursery industry even grafted clones vary. And long- and widely-grown cultivars such as this often come to consist of more than one clone over time. The other day a friend showed me two different brambles he is growing next to one another, both acquired in recent years as 'Thornless Boysen'.