Identification: What cherry? Not cherry? -Very small white flower with very short pedicels.

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by eteinindia, Apr 26, 2009.

1. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I found one unusual cherry or not-cherry tree on W 37th between Highbury and Wallace. Last year I reported this site as one block of young Akebonos with just one Accolade tree. But this year I realised there are 3 Kanzans and 1 tree which I can't say cherry or not cherry.

20090425_37&Wallace_Whatzit_Izaki 001.jpg 20090425_37&Wallace_Whatzit_Izaki 011.jpg 20090425_37&Wallace_Whatzit_Izaki 007.jpg
    20090425_37&Wallace_Whatzit_Izaki 002.jpg 20090425_37&Wallace_Whatzit_Izaki 004.jpg 20090420_Highbury&37_Akebono, Accolade,Kanzan,Etc_Izaki 008.jpg

It has very very tiny flowers as cherry without leaves. (I used a 1 cent coin to compare! They are smaller!) When I saw flowers only, I didn’t think it's cherry, but it has cherry bark! These tiny flowers make umbels with tiny almost nothing pedicels.
    Perhaps when leaves come out we can say at least cherry or not-cherry.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I think it's probably a rootstock cultivar or perhaps an open pollinated, unnamed seedling that was used for rootstock. Similarly, a sweet cherry in one of my friend's Camano Island, WA orchards is producing suckers with red bark and hairy leaves, pinkish flowers shaped somewhat like those of Prunus x schmittii shown elsewhere on this site.

When I grew a whip of the Colt rootstock cultivar for awhile to see what it looked like it produced pendent pink flowers that smelled of melons. So, some mystery trees encountered which look like Japanese flowering cherries may actually be one of these types.

When a rootstock has replaced a scion the base (or other point of grafting) of the tree will often be malformed-looking, as is the case with the specimen you have shown.

3. eteinindia

Thank you, Ron.
    Parhaps it was planted by mistake. But it is interesting!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Almost certainly planted as a rootstock, the scion having since died and been replaced by a sprout from the rootstock.

5. eteinindia

On July 10, I visited the tree to see leaves and cherries. But I found it was dead completely. It looks like the tree died soon after it bloomed. We could see remains of flowers but there weren't any leaves come out.
    Now I understand why I didn't notice the tree last year. Last year I thought 37th between Highbury and Wallace was a perfect block of young Akebonos. But now it became not as fair as before.
    20090710_37th&Wallace_Deadtree_Izaki 002A.JPG 20090710_37th&Wallace_Deadtree_Izaki 004A.JPG

White flowers of Akebono remained me the tree on Larch. The broken limb had white flowers almost a month behind other branches.
    20090508_45th&Larch_Akebono&Whatzis_Izaki 001.jpg 20090508_45th&Larch_Akebono&Whatzis_Izaki 003.jpg