Western Redbud

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Anne Kivari, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Anne Kivari

Anne Kivari Member

I'm looking for a source to purchase Cercis occidentalis trees/shrubs (Western Redbud). Does anyone know of a nursery in BC that has them?

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Cercis occidentalis is not an uncommon tree in BC. Have you contacted any nurseries on Vancouver Island to enquire? For example, I know Dinter Nursery in Duncan is helpful in bringing in trees they do not have in stock and I'm sure many others do as well. What you need to do is contact various nurseries and ask.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cercis occidentalis is not an uncommon tree in BC

Really? Or might you be thinking of C. canadensis?

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

True. There are not many places in BC with climate warm enough for Western Redbud.

5. Ron B

Grows in Seattle, where one at the Arboretum was over 23' tall in 2005. (And the Colvos Creek nursery used to grow it from seed on nearby Vashon Island). So the rareness of it in the general landscape this far north would appear to be due primarily to a lack of commercial prevalence.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
  7. Polar

Polar Active Member

C. canadensis is readily available in BC nurseries everywhere. It’s the C. occidentalis that is harder to find. I would like one as it would seem to fit what my garden can offer while also being native to the west coast. Bonus.

8. Margot

Hello @Polar - even though Cercis occidentalis is commonly referred to as Western Redbud, it is not native to BC or even particularly to the NA west coast.

From Wikipedia: It is found across the American Southwest, from California to Utah and Arizona.

9. Polar

Polar Active Member

Yes, true. I keep thinking we’re ‘California’ as we can grow several things they can, especially when it comes to coastal properties. Indeed it won’t be found growing on the BC coast unless planted there….

10. Polar

Polar Active Member

Ok, now I’ve spent a bit of time reading more about C. occidentalis (syn. C. orbiculata Greene) on the forum and web.

I can’t find any document that specifically says it grows on the coast. It seems to grow in all kinds of environments, from woodlands to dry, rocky foothills but no mention of coastal environments, as per:
    https://plants.usda.gov/DocumentLibrary/factsheet/pdf/fs_ceor9.pdf

have you seen it growing in local gardens?

It’s a tough plant, but can it do well with salt spray? Perhaps this is another plant I’ll leave off my dwindling list…

11. Margot

What exactly are the criteria you have in mind for your perfect tree? From what you have told us so far, you're looking for a tree that likes sun and tolerates salt spray . . . What about height, water requirements, soil requirements and so on?

Have you ever looked at Great Plant Picks to see what they have on their lists? Great Plant Picks: Unbeatable Plants for the Maritime Northwest Garden

Georgia Strait likes this.
  12. Anne Kivari

Anne Kivari Member

Hello all. I was the OP of this thread about Cercis occidentalis or Western Redbud. I understand that it is not native to the PNW but moreso native to drier habitats such as in California and Arizona. I am located in the Okanagan/Similkameen and wondered if this tree would survive in this dry, rocky area with winter protection. I know that Cercis canadensis struggles here. I hope this clears up the confusion about my original post. Thanks!

13. Georgia Strait

i am very familiar w the areas south of Peachland

my first thought these days would be landscaping plants appropriate for FireSmart
    (EDIT to add video — I realize this is not the exact plant you enquire about)
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PFiresmart/status/1453467178963857408

As a person who likes plants and nature (and at same time cautious of wildfire) - yes it’s hard to eliminate natural Oregon grape and amelanchier and Philadelphus (mock orange)

and then be restrained when it comes to purpose plants — esp when one considers the water used on gardens and golf and lawns in BC

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  14. Georgia Strait

Here’s an older website —- perhaps worth contacting

i think the mayor Toni Boot of Summerland is/was involved in a xeriscape nursery and would also have info about interface wildfire safety at their municipal offices. Likewise RDOS and Penticton FireSmart.

There used to be a xeriscape garden at the former Research Station In Trout Creek below Summerland off Hwy97.

Western Redbud - Okanagan Xeriscape Association

15. Anne Kivari

Anne Kivari Member

Hi Georgia Straight. Those cedar hedges are everywhere here and we have one that circles our complex running about 500 feet in length. We are constantly cleaning up the dry dead leaves to reduce the fire hazard. This area could use far more deciduous trees to help lessen the spread of wildfire. That along with cleaning up the beetle kill and dead dry matter on the forest floors would be a step in the right direction. This is starting to take hold now.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2021
  16. Anne Kivari

Anne Kivari Member

Hello again. I taught fire safe gardening and landscaping to the Osoyoos FN years ago. I also ran a landscaping company in Penticton area for years before going to Nanaimo to teach Horticulture at VIU. I still design gardens here in this area since I retired and moved back here 3 years ago. Very familiar with all of the places you've suggested thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2021
  17. Georgia Strait

We could certainly do with more FireSmart help in the suburbs of Penticton

maybe one day when Meadowlark event is back

18. Anne Kivari

Anne Kivari Member

Yes!
    Can't wait for Meadowlark Festival to start up again! Are you one of the organizers?

19. Georgia Strait

long ago we volunteered and have also enjoyed taking various tours

it is a beautiful time of year in Okanagan during meadowlark festival
    Home of the Meadowlark Nature Festival

20. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Just my opinion -- I think western redbud would do well in the Okanagan given where I've seen it growing in California (and oh, how magnificent it is near Mt. Shasta at the right time of year).

21. Georgia Strait

22. Anne Kivari

Anne Kivari Member

@ Daniel Mosquin thank you for your opinion and I would love to find this tree for sale somewhere. I tried to find seed online without success so I've obtained seed for Cercis chinensis instead. I had this tree in my Naramata garden years ago and quite liked it. Of course not native...but I'll try to start the seed.

23. Anne Kivari

Anne Kivari Member

@ Georgia Strait thank you such good news!

24. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Seed source is here: Cercis occidentalis - Western Redbud (Seed)

They are relatively quick growers. ... although, I think it would be best to find seed sourced near Redding instead of SoCal, might get that extra bit of cold hardiness. You'd have to ask the supplier.

25. Ron B

Plant encyclopedia section of Sunset Western Garden Book from Sunset Publishing would indicate (via their Sunset Climate Zone system) if whoever wrote the relevant content thought western redbud would grow in the Okanogan.