Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning and it is at this very moment, but storm Francis is going to hit later, so thought I would take these.
    As P @pmurphy showed her Cryptomeria Japonica last night in Autumn colours, I thought I would show my other one, my Sekkan Sugi.
    Also added my new shoot on my Ostmanthus Hetroph purpuroeus and my Hakonechloa grass as it was looking quite pretty I thought.

Attached Files:

Nik, pmurphy and wcutler like this.
  2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I checked my melon tent today, and noticed some powdering mildew, that has appeared after recent rainy but warm days. I hope my melons will ripen before the damage gets extensive.
    20200825_115438_resized.jpg
    One of my artichokes, that over wintered thanks to extraordinary warm winter, has started to bloom. I consumed most of its flowers in July, when they were ready to harvest, but some lower buds were so tiny, that I left them unharvested. The volunteer artichok is sinking under the butternut squash.
    20200825_120233_resized.jpg
    My Jerusalem artichokes on the other hand are above 2 meters high now.
    20200825_120116_resized.jpg
    My sweet corn is unusually short this year, ca 1.5 meters maximum, but each plant has at least three ears. Popcorn plants on the right edge are significantly higher.
    20200825_120314_resized.jpg
    Harvested borlotti beans to avoid rotting of pods because of wet conditions.
    20200825_120212_resized.jpg
    My Lima beans are still growing, it will become pretty nice harvest after some weeks.
    20200825_120530_resized.jpg
    Tomatillos have pretty large husks alreay, but the berry inside is still not fully grown.
    20200825_120704_resized.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Georgia Strait, Nik, wcutler and 2 others like this.
  3. Acerholic

@Sulev good afternoon Sulev, what a bountiful garden you have there in Estonia. I wonder if you would like to share it with this thread also,
    Fruit and Vegetable Gardening
    There are some on there that don't look at the How's it Growing threads and would also really enjoy seeing your future harvest. I have never seen them on here, but I maybe wrong.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Now that the days are growing noticeably shorter, I think my garden is at it's best. We had enough rain this season to keep everything green - my favourite colour! Here are a few shots of things that are in flower now.
    Phyglius 'Moonraker'
    Sempervivum
    - in the garden since we bought it - very slow growing here
    Cyclamen hederifolium albiflorum with Yerba Buena
    - pops up all over the garden thanks to ants that distribute its seeds
    Polystichum seteferum 'Plumodivisilobum'
    - makes baby ferns at the ends of its fronds
    Hydrangea paniculata 'Phantom' (do you know what these insects are?)
    Arum italicum ssp. italicum 'Pictum
    - 2 Lords; 1 Lady
    Selaginella wallacei
    - a native fern, not a moss; self-planted
    Kniphofia 'Cobra'
    Yellow Sempervivum
    Tanacetum parthenium
    Asclepias tuberosa
    ‘Gay Butterflies’
    Arabis caucasica
    - self seeds this whole bluff - and more
    Gaura linheimeri
    - maybe 'Whirling Butterflies

Attached Files:

Georgia Strait, pmurphy, Nik and 2 others like this.
  5. Nik

Nik Contributor

Sedum ‘Cherry tart’ that was struggling for several years out in the yard, so I moved the tiny remnants into a pot, seems to be doing better.
    Cardinal flower first year seedlings, just beginning to bloom, which is surprising, I thought they normally don’t flower in their 1st year.
    And a nice looking frog that jumped out of one of the Japanese maples seedlings pots when I was removing weeds from it.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

I hear so many comments about the August garden being dull and tired.
    @Margot and @Nik have just proven that wrong.

So much interest, lovely!!!

7. Nik

Nik Contributor

@Margot , I love the Selaginella and the Arabis photos.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

And I love your sweet little frog. We have a native tree frog around here - Hyla regilla - usually green. What is yours called?

Attached Files:

9. Nik

Nik Contributor

We have many varieties, but this one I believe is Rana palustris, Pickerel frog.

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The purple fruited plum on thread page 16 looks to be a Prunus domestica type like 'Italian'. These can sucker to form thickets, if the one popped up as a comparatively strong shoot that grew vigorously from the start it is probably growing from a runner that crept in from an adjacent property.

Going back a couple additional pages I was looking through the Ronald Houtman Variegated Trees & Shrubs book (2004, Timber Press, Portland) and came across his account of the 'Rainbow' leucothoe. Wherein he lists the history of the cultivar as belonging to Girard. Yet also notes in his narrative that both Girard and Hillier claim to have found it, that American stock is often called 'Girard's Rainbow' and that it is not known if the two versions are identical or not. With the matter being confused by various authors going ahead and stating that one name is a synonym of the other.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  11. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

That's what I thought except that none of our nearby neighbors have or had any plum trees, so it's origin may be a mystery but it does provides nice fruit.
    ....I've had many volunteer plants over the years and, if I have the space, I usually allow these plants to grow until I can identify what it is. I find this method works because it's sometimes much easier to cut down or remove a plant than to try to replace it after the fact.

12. Acerholic

Good morning, I thought I would share a photo I took moments ago in my garden of my Ginko Biloba. The sky was so blue that it just had to be done, lol.

Attached Files:

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  13. Acerholic

September 1st 2020 and a wonderful sunrise in my garden. Not a cloud anywhere. Just saw the sun glinting on my Sambucas nigra Black Lace. So thought I would share it with the forum.

Attached Files:

Nik, pmurphy and wcutler like this.
  14. Acerholic

This is my new Hosta Stained glass purchased yesterday. Now they say it is suitable for sunnier positions. This is why I bought it. Only time will tell.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

Good morning, I know this is not much to show, but as I bought it yesterday I thought I might as well post it. A winter fern that is the first I have tried in my garden, so will evaluate over the coming months.
    Dryopteris lepidopoda Hardy fern.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

Good morning, I wanted to share my small Cryptomeria Japonica Sekkan Sugi with the thread. The reason being is that all Spring and Summer it had no new growth. But we hit September and hey presto new shoots everywhere. What a year!!!
    I have it near my Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum' btw, they do compliment each other well.

Attached Files:

Nik, pmurphy, Sulev and 2 others like this.
  17. pmurphy

Here is a latecomer; it should have been flowering in the middle of August.

Hardy hibiscus 'Pink Swirl'

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic and Margot like this.
  18. Acerholic

@pmurphy There is an old saying 'better late than never'. And your Hibiscus 'pink swirl' definatly fits that bill.
    Absolutly beautiful P.

19. Acerholic

It is a beautiful September morning and my Osmanthus hetroph purpureus was looking quite pretty in the sun in my garden, so thought I would share with you what I saw.

Attached Files:

20. pmurphy

Well I've spent the last week dealing with pears and plums - preserving, canning, smoking, freezing etc. - and was finally able to take a wander through my gardens. I wanted to see how things are doing....and to see what damage the raccoons did last night besides knocking over garden decorations and potted seedlings (they also managed to pulled the hose from one of my water gardens - essentially draining it because the pump kept running - but luckily it did not burn out and I as able to refilled and getting it running properly again) .
    The gardens themselves are starting to look really sad so I know I'm going to have to start cleaning soon. But I did find a few stragglers to photograph before the fall colors kick in.

Broadleaf arrowhead - its hiding in the cattails so I was kind of surprised to see it flower this year
    Hardy hibiscus 'Pink Swirl' - couldn't resist another photo
    Hardy begonia - buds are just starting to open
    Super dwarf nectarine - this is a true genetic dwarf (my tree is less than 1.5 meters tall)
    Super dwarf nectarine - you can see the fruit is full sized and will be ripening soon (I estimate this tree has over 4 dozen fruit hiding in foliage so I'll have to start finding recipes for this soon)

Attached Files:

Nik, Margot, Acerholic and 1 other person like this.
  21. Acerholic

@pmurphy good morning P. This is such a busy time of the year for us gardeners, that it is so easy to forget to take in the last remnants of Summer. Glad you did take a walk around your garden and share the wonderful photos.

22. Acerholic

After seeing P @pmurphy photos and hearing about her wandering around her garden, I did the same and found this whilst having my morning coffee. The fruit on my Cornus kousa China girl.

Attached Files:

Margot, Nik and pmurphy like this.
  23. Acerholic

Good morning, after watching duscussions on another thread about Hostas. I thought I would show my Hosta 'White feather' from early this morning. The egg shells have worked well this year.

Attached Files:

Nik, Margot and wcutler like this.
  24. Acerholic

I have just been digging in my garden for the last couple of hours preparing for my Autumn tree planting and what did I see, my Lonicera Strawberries and cream sprouting new growth and flowers.
    Had to share it with the thread as it looked quite pretty.

Attached Files:

Nik, pmurphy and Margot like this.
  25. pmurphy

Here are a few more photos...

Variegated magnolia vine - this is the first time it's ever flowered
    Sedum "Autumn Joy' - starting to take on the Fall colors
    Golden glorybower - buds are getting ready to open
    Hardy bedonia

Last image is an update and comparison.
    The small cluster I'm holding is the fruits of Schisandra chinensis 'Eastern Prince' (self-fertile) compared to the long cluster (of which most of the fruit has now fallen off) of Schisandra grandiflora 'Apricot Blush'.
    And for the record, I find both fruits to be sour ('Blush' is a little spicy but definitely sour)

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.