Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

We gardeners have more time than ever to work on our gardens in this time of COVID but hardly anyone with whom to share the fruits of our labour. Garden club meetings, garden tours and plant sales are all cancelled so we’re somewhat isolated with our leafy friends.

Just as so many in the ‘Maples’ forum are sharing photos of their maples under the thread “Cheering ourselves up”, I think it could be fun to share pictures of beautiful plants we grow whether they are in gardens, containers or on windowsills.

Here are a few photos taken in my garden lately.
    1. Rhododendron 'Jingle Bells'
    2. Rhododendron 'Dora Amateis'
    3. Penstemon davidsonii
    4. Lomatium utriculatum
    (Spring Gold) & parasitic friend, Orobanche uniflora

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of other gardens from all 'corners' of the world.

Attached Files:

Gwen Miller and Daniel Mosquin like this.
  2. carsona

carsona Member

I like this idea but don't see how to add a photo.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

My Embothrium coccinium bloomed finally after nearly dying twice.

My traffic circle garden has been blooming with viola, columbine and Flanders poppy. I love the way the poppy buds hang before they rise and open.

Attached Files:

Gwen Miller and Daniel Mosquin like this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Margot , Hi Margot, just saw this thread, tbh I can't believe the views and replies on the Cheering ourselves up thread I started on March 19th. It has also turned into a fun thread for us maple lovers that perhaps the UBC didn't have !!!? Who needs Facebook, lol
    I would like to contribute a few photos from my garden here in England to your 'Virtual Garden Tour'. I'm sure it's going to be a colourful thread. Hope you don't mind me posting these ?
    Photos are Azalea 'Geisha'. Cornus Kousa 'China girl'. Hosta 'Patriot'. Hosta 'Orange marmalade '. Hosta ' White feather' and finally Clematis 'Guernsey cream'.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  6. Margot

Hi Acerholic and Eric - I'm delighted to see your gorgeous photos. I enjoy following the 'Cheering ourselves up' thread and hope others on the UBC Forums will share their pictures on 'How's it Growing' too.

7. Acerholic

@Margot, I took this photo earlier today and thought it might be nice for your thread. It's the top of Fagus Sylvatica Black Swan in my garden. With the blue sky behind, and Acer palmatum Katsura forming a backing frame, I just couldn't resist a photo.
    Hope you think its OK for your Virtual Garden Tour.

Attached Files:

8. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

@Eric La Fountaine Please forgive me my ignorance, but what you mean by "traffic circle garden"? Thanks in advance.
    @Acerholic I am interested what are the names of the plants in your first post. I know they are attached to the pictures but have no idea how to display the whole description, sorry.

9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'll take this, or start on it anyway. Vancouver has a Green Streets program, in which people can volunteer to maintain small plots generally on street corners, and it includes the traffic calming (ha!) circles right in the intersections, that turn cross streets into circles or roundabouts. On this page about the program: The Green Streets Program: Volunteer gardening on traffic calming spaces, there is a photo of a traffic circle garden at the bottom of the page.

10. Acerholic

Hi @Sundrop, glad to share, they are Azalea Geisha, Cornus Kousa China girl, Hosta Patriot, Hosta Orange Marmalade, Hosta White Feather and Clematis Guernsey cream. Hope you enjoyed the photos.

11. Sundrop

Thank you both for explanation.

12. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

This is from last year, but here is the whole traffic circle garden, so you see what it is.

Attached Files:

Acerholic and Daniel Mosquin like this.
  13. Sundrop

Thank you Eric.

14. Margot

So much more than 'okay'. I love the opportunity to share with gardeners all over the world, not just in BC or Canada or N. America. Gardening is a lifestyle and a passion that transcends everything that might otherwise divide us and that is most reassuring in this time of coronavirus. Your contributions here and especially in the 'Maples' forum are greatly appreciated!

PS Your ID of Azalea Geisha has allowed me to put a name to what looks to be the same beautiful azalea I won in a raffle a few years ago. Thanks!

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Acerholic

I posted this on the shade thread earlier, It is a Hakonechloa macrae Aureloa, a deciduous perennial grass.

I wanted to share it with you all on this thread as it is looking so cheerful this morning and thought you might like to see it. It really brightens up a dull shady area of my garden. Turning more yellow during the Summer it becomes even brighter. A win win grass IMO.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

I have my Zantedeschia (Arum Lily) just flowering, ( one flower only) lol.
    Just photographed in last few minutes for the thread.
    I do love green and whites especially on a hot day as this is. 26 degrees.

It thrives in moist or boggy soil to get the best results, if you are thinking of getting one.

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  17. Acerholic

Good afternoon, continuing my theme for green and white, I've just taken these photos of my Cornus Kousa China girl. It loves full sun.
    I have added a couple of close up photos of the pretty flowers, as I recall someone on the forum asking about Cornus kousa ID. Do hope you enjoy these as I am, sitting in my garden on a 'very hot' day in England.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

Hi, this is my Ophiopogon planiscapus Nigrescens - it is black ornamental grass 'Ophiopogon nigra'. It has lovely pink flowers in the Summer and does well in full sun on any soil. It can be a bit invasive, so needs checking.
    I took these photos before and after watering this evening, so you can see how it shines in the evening sunlight. It has evening shade btw.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  19. Margot

Acerholic - I am in awe of your photographic skills. Even though I have a pretty good camera, there's no way I could capture such beautiful images as yours!

Here are a few photos from my garden this afternoon. This is a between time with many of the rhodos winding down while a number of others are just starting to bloom.
    #1 Rhododendron 'Holden's Solar Flare' This is the first time it has produced a blossom. I think I like it.
    #2 Aquilegia saximontana. This is one of many alpines I've acquired from the alpine garden club I belong to.
    #3 Anemone multifida. It took years to reach this size but worth waiting for. Do you see the Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens' planted below?
    #4 Allium schoenoprasum (Chives). Reached the grand height of 2 feet this lush spring.
    #5 Acer ????. A seedling I found in my garden 6 years ago that seems determined to be prostrate.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Daniel Mosquin and Acerholic like this.
  20. Acerholic

@Margot, thankyou for your kind comments. I do use a mini tripod to steady my camera when taking shots, it really helps.
    Love your photos today and especially the maple seedling.
    There is something wonderful IMO of never knowing what will come up in a JM seedling, could it be something that has never been seen before??? Exciting !!! Anyway this is not the maple forum, I can get carried away.
    I do love this thread you started, hope it keeps going a very long time.

21. Acerholic

This is my Clematis Guernsey Cream after a rain shower this Spring, thought it might be OK for the thread. I keep it in a pot and it has full afternoon sun in my garden.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

Good morning, this is my Cottoneaster Horizontalis just starting to flower. It does well in all light conditions, but loves full sun.
    The added bonus is that the berries are a wonderful red in the Autumn and the blackbirds enjoy a tasty treat.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

First rain here in a month so thought I would add this one, hope it's OK for the thread. Cornus kousa China girl.

Attached Files:

24. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Just found this thread and I think its a wonderful idea!
    Here are some of my plants growing in my gardens.....

IMG_2853.JPG
    crown imperial 'sunset'

IMG_2909.JPG
    hardy citrus bitter orange 'flying dragon'

IMG_2922.JPG
    spider azalea

IMG_2953.JPG
    azalea 'northern hi-lights'

IMG_2999.JPG
    bunchberry

25. Acerholic

This is my Ginkgo Bilboa also known as Maidenhair tree in my garden, it is the only living species 'Ginkgophyta'. It dates back 270 million years ago. I've had it for four years now. It is very hardy with pale green leaves in Spring and Sumner. In Autumn the leaves turn a beautiful yellow. I managed to photograph a couple of leaves in the rain today also.
    I've added a photo from my garden in November 2019, so that you can see the Autumn colour. It stands out amongst the reds of my Acer Ariaki Nomura.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2020
    Margot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.