Very early 'Tai-haku'

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Nina Shoroplova, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Nina Shoroplova

Nina Shoroplova Member

Wendy Cutler has identified the flowering cherry blossoms in these photographs I took as 'Tai-haku', part of the Sato-zakura Group of village cherries. Having now looked through Douglas Justice's Ornamental Cherries in Vancouver to mid-April, I am sure she is right, even though I photographed these in late March. They are in the triangle of land south of Volunteer Park in Kitsilano.

Thanks, Wendy.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Well, I'm not sure I'm right. I posted photos of these in the last group in the Kitsilano posting at Kitsilano.
    If 'Somei-yoshino' can have extra petals this year, and 'Akebono' more extra petals than I've seen before, why not 'Tai-haku'?

'Tai-haku' are almost open in the West End, and Kitsilano has been a little ahead of the West End this year.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Well, I was going to look through all my 'Tai-haku' photos to see if any had extra petals. Fortunately, this was in the second folder I checked, from Seaforth Peace Park (across from the Armory on Burrard St).
    20080412_Burrard1st_TaiHaku_Cutler_3194.jpg

Here's one with 6 petals, from 2015 - I thought I should post a matching tree for confirmation. This is from 148a St and 33 Ave. Where even is that?
    20150322_148aSt33rdAve_TaiHaku_Cutler_133143.jpg 20150322_148aSt33rdAve_TaiHaku_Cutler_133237.jpg