Unknown

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by michaeltoo, Aug 5, 2005.

1. michaeltoo

michaeltoo Member

Having seen a couple of recent postings (including Dudleya, my namesake), I send this photograph that my wife took last week in a San Jose garden. What is it and is it indigenous to that area or would you call it an invasive species?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Aeonium sp, maybe A. arboreum 'Atropurpureum' or A. decorum.

3. michaeltoo

michaeltoo Member

Ron,
    Thanks for your rapid response. I will follow up on your suggestions.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very nice photo Michael.

5. michaeltoo

michaeltoo Member

Eric, thankyou

Ron,
    After much searching, I realise that there is a lot more to this identification than meets the eye. At first I was very doubtful of the "arboreum atropurpurem" designation, but I eventually found a photo with several similarities. So maybe.
    I also found a French site with a "spathulatum" (taken in April) that also had several similarities; so I am torn.
    I wonder, is it that the Aeonium is easily hybridized or is it that soil and watering conditions can have such a great effect on this species?

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Now that you have some candidates focus on written descriptions to find out which particular one you have.

7. michaeltoo

michaeltoo Member

Thanks Ron, will do.

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd like to feature this photograph, but we'll need to get the right name. I'll ask around a bit, too.

9. michaeltoo

michaeltoo Member

Daniel,
    Sorry for the delay in writing. My wife would be delighted if you used the photo; and I would especially, as it would mean that it had been identified satisfactorily.
    By the way, I am the Michael who dared to question which side was up on the Woodwardia Orientalis. Thanks for the link showing both sides; fascinating, and I will try not to question your writings again.

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Michael - hold on a moment there! Please continue to "dare" - it's a bit scary sometimes for me to write accounts (particularly since it is only self-edited), so I rely on readers to step up to the plate and call me on it when I'm not correct. As it is, your question on the Woodwardia led to extra information for everyone who reads it and checks out the link - there's no harm whatsoever with that, and in fact should be encouraged.