Twombly's Red Sentinel size/spacing question

Discussion in 'Maples' started by james vee, Sep 21, 2021.

1. james vee

james vee New Member

I am in the process of establishment a privacy hedge along the edge of one side of my yard. The foundation of this hedge will be emerald green arborvitae and several Twombly's red Sentinel (I have spent a fair amount of time debating Twombly's vs skeeters broom). Any thoughts on that are welcome :)

But I'm mainly trying to decide on spacing between my emerald arborvitae and the trees. The internet is filled with such a wide range of sizes at 10 years. Many sites say 3-4 feet which would equal the arborvitae in size but just as many list 7-8 feet as the 10 year size. I realize that it's impossible to know for certain as all trees and conditions are different but I'd really appreciate any advice. Any of you out there have Twombly's and how old/what size is it? Pictures would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I planted a hedge of 6-foot-tall Emerald Cedar (Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd') 3 feet apart about 5 years ago. They are now all touching. I'm sure different locations and growing conditions would produce different results but, considering that these trees are said to grow to be about 4 feet wide, I wouldn't plant them any more than 4 feet apart.

When you say that just as many (sites) 'list 7-8 feet as the 10 year size', can you say if that refers to the height or the width of the trees at that age?

3. james vee

james vee New Member

I should have specified- I was referring to the width of Twombly's. Many of the web pages that I visited had differing numbers regarding the 10 year width of the tree. Half of the sites I look at list 3-4 feet and the other half list 7-8 feet, a few list 10-12'.

I was just hoping to get some real life experiences from people in this community. Thanks!