trunk thickening/trident maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by stonegarden, May 11, 2007.

1. stonegarden

stonegarden Member

Hello all, I hapened on these pictures of trident maple bonsai with a thickened trunk.
    I have a small one at home and am wondering how this method is achieved.

I am however aware of the method using WIRE around the base of the trunk to encourage trunk growth. Is there another method to achieve the look of the trident maple in this picture? or is a wire tourniquet the only way? Even with wraping the wire in paper I fear it harmful to the delicate skin of maples.

anyone care to help?

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

The wire method you are talking about was not used on that tree. That look is most often achieved with a series of trunk chops, whereby the tree is allowed to grow wildly until the lowest part is the thickness you want and then the tree is chopped down very low. The prominent basal flare seems to indicate that it was grown in a very shallow container and the radial roots allowed to grow to further thicken the lowest part.

Its not as complicated as Ive made it sound, but that should give you an idea of the process. The trunk chop is a basic technique that is used on almost every maple bonsai.

3. stonegarden

stonegarden Member

Thanks for the reply Globalist.
    I already have a chopped trident maple bonsai about 8 in. tall. the trunk is thicker at the base and tapers gradually up. Is there an active technique to utilize to further thicken the trunk or just allow it to grow over time?..

4. globalist1789

Grow the tree in a container that is very shallow or in the ground planted over a clay tile. Cut any roots that grow down. Let the radial roots grow and grow until you have the trunk base you want. Done like dinner.

M.

5. stonegarden

stonegarden Member

Great! will do. also I have been watching the moss grow around the base of the trunk and into the topmost roots. does the moss eat or damage the roots and bark-skin? will the moss impede the thickening process or endanger the tree eventually? Photos can be available on Monday if needed.

6. globalist1789

Moss won't hurt a thing. Best of luck.

7. ichoudhury

ichoudhury Active Member

So that approach you suggest should be done after he already got the desire Trunk, correct? Because to thicken his maple's trunk, he will have to repeat the chop/grow free .. chop/grow free for few years .. (Correct me if I"m wrong)