trumpet vine and wisteria in az

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by alkvinia kaye, Feb 12, 2009.

1. alkvinia kaye

alkvinia kaye Member

Is it possible to grow campsis radicans in the west valley of Az (Pheonix)? Same question for Wisteria. We moved here from Ia 2yrs ago. My kids brought me a start of my hardy Wisteria vine and also my beautiful trumpet vine. Ive had it for a yr. They grew nicely in the pots I planted them in and so I put them in the yard where I wanted them. A rabbit ate them to the ground. They didnt seem to want to come back but there was some green so I put them back into pots and that was last Nov and they have done nothing. I have a muted little leaf on one and a stick on the other. Today I purchased at Home Depot Wisteria Glicina which says grow your own Crezcala usted mismo on the bottom of the tag. Dont have a clue what it means.

In Iowa I took an old patio umberilla to the metal frame and planted it and started a wisteria vine on it and it was very special. The umberillia I planted here for the vine is still bare. I had trumpet vine on my chain link fence in Iowa and it was breathtaking. Ive had an empty cemented trunk from a dead pine tree planted here for 2 yrs and still no trumpet vine for it. Dont know the type I had in Ia but the trumpet flowers were HUGE scarlet red with orangish yellow throats. I want to put it on my fence out here but cant find any and the trumpet vines sold here are little flowers. Not at all the same. I think I had 11 leavlets on the vine leaf and 9 leaflets on the other vine. Can I grow these vines in Az? I think we are zone 12. Were between Wickenburg and Suprize Az. Anyone with any helpful info on the subject.? Thanks

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Wisteria do not like to have their roots disturbed (tap roots go very deep), the soil type that you have may also be a factor for your other plant. I say, if they are not acclimatised to your climate zone, and not readily established and sanctioned by your local horticulturist/nursery then seek out plants that will coexist and thrive in your local climate, this will save you time, money and heartache.