British Columbia: time to add compost?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by kyliemh, Jul 17, 2010.

1. kyliemh

kyliemh Member

I have found conflicting answers from various online sources, so hopefully I can find the best answer for BC coastal gardens here . . . when is the best time to add compost to your garden (mostly perennial flowers and shrubs)? I was thinking fall (Oct / Nov) but then read that you lose most of the nutrient value over the winter (via leaching) and its better to add in the spring. However, another friend noted that compost really doesn't have a lot of nutrient value, but improves soil structure for plant roots. I have some excellent compost just about ready to go, but wondering if I should wait until spring. What do people gardening on the coast recommend? I am located in a fairly cool rainy climate, about same annual precip as Vancouver but not as hot in summer (Northwest coast BC).

2. Grant Gussie

Grant Gussie Active Member

Dont spend too much time overthinking the compost thing. When its ready, just use it. However, using it in the fall makes the least sense, as plants have stopped growing then and dont need the nutrients, and, more importantly, the late deposit of compost will act as a mulch, and keep the already too-wet soil of a west coast winter even wetter and colder come next spring. The best time to spread compost in later spring, after the perrenials are well sprouted (so you dont bury them). But really, spreading it in the fall is much better than not spreading it at all, so again, if its ready, just use it. It does no good for anything until you spread it.

3. kyliemh

kyliemh Member

thanks, that makes sense.

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Dig it up, spread it around your veggy patch and let nature do the rest...