This vertical forest tower makes elite green design affordable. But is it actually green?

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by Junglekeeper, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hi @Junglekeeper - glad you posted this. I was reading it earlier (and still haven't read the whole article) but one objection that stood out for me was that critics say these buildings typically share some not-so-green traits: their construction relies on vast quantities of carbon-intensive concrete.

The thing is that most high-rise buildings rely on 'vast quantities of carbon-intensive concrete' so perhaps in a small way, planting shrubs and trees may offset that negative.

It would be so exciting if initiatives like this that are currently only available to wealthy apartment owners may eventually become more affordable for average folks.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The article points out some negatives of this 'green' design. The additional concrete and iron required to support the extra weight is one. The idea of having gardeners rappelling down the building to maintain the plantings is almost laughable. Putting aside the negatives, I have to say the Bosco Verticale is a marvel to look at.

Margot likes this.
  4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

What happens when tree seeds land in them and start growing?