Spring 2015 photos

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Schattenfreude, Mar 20, 2015.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks Houzi and Alex for the info.

I haven't seen photos of Acer x zoeschense 'Anae', here are photos of mine - not very good photos, but what can you do under the almost continuous rain we've had for several days now...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. AlainK

Acer discolor

Attached Files:

3. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

No apologies necessary Andrea,you can bombard us any time :) I think many of us would like Ariadne to keep those jagged leaves but as you say they seem to come and go quickly....infact many of the reticulates seem to do this.Don't know what the secret is to keeping them,perhaps growing as slowly as possible?
    Love the Murakumo....caught my eye when Charlie first showed his here because Ukigumo is and probably always will be my favourite purely because of the white leaves.Actually quite rare over here and I've heard it's quite slow to grow so that's a lovely one you've got there.
    See you're still looking after Tequila Sunset for me ha ha,just joking.Hope to see it in it's true colours later.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  4. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Haha, thanks Houzi! In regards to Ariadne, I don't mind the jagged leaves, but I prefer the 'normal' ones. My other reticulates are Shigi no hoshi (never does this, that I can recall), Olsen's Frosted Strawberry (some are more jagged than others, most are normal, but I have some this year that are more rounded and much darker than the others), Filigree (can you count this as a reticulate??), and Peaches and Cream (like Shigi, leaves typically normal - though this one hasn't grown for me in 2-3 years). In ground, I don't usually fertilize, and pots usually 1-2x in early spring, and maybe once before we get really hot (late June-ish). I've read over and over that they prefer leaner, poorer soils - and I know for variegates too much washes out/eliminates the variegation - so that's why I'm stingy on the fertilizer. Plus, I use a high quality, organic soil in my mix, along with a decent amount of bark, so my organic vs inorganic content is about 50-60%, so they don't need to be feed as often as if they were in a more inorganic mix.

I had a small Ukigumo for a couple of years, and it never showed any variegation/white for me, so when it kicked the bucket I wasn't too upset. From what I've read, the white, and amount of white, can be VERY hit and miss on this cultivar, even on the same plant from one year to another. I won't say I dislike it, because that's not the case, but when I was looking for a pale tree, after seeing Charlie's pictures, I knew this was the one for me. :) As with so many things in life, I don't *need* another Murakumo, but I'm seriously thinking about getting one, though smaller and at least for the time being, I will probably prune it to keep it smaller (ie, 5' or less). If I do get one, and it's the right shape (ie, more shrubby, not quite so tree-like in form), I'm seriously thinking of moving my Filigree from the courtyard and putting the second Murakumo there instead - I think the contrast in coloring and leaf shape against the Seiryu would look nicer, the Filigree and Seiryu are just too similar in leaf shape, color, etc. Plus, the lighting in that corner would be perfect for Murakumo.

5. Houzi

I totally agree,if you give these plants everything they want I think their 'healthy' cells can soon outnumber the 'unhealthy'cells which give them the characteristics we so desire,however I believe the plants are perfectly happy,it's just us that aren't.Apart from some of the new brightly coloured reticulates,I've found that a lot of them seem to do a good job of impersonating eachother at various times.....Ariadne&AKA Shigitatsu Sawa are at times almost identical,and Ariadne is definately Amber at times like the Ghost,and my new grafted Amber ghost looks like AKA presently...nice and pink.
    Yes there are a lot of poor Ukigumos about,my sister bought me one which was almost plain green.I know if you graft poorly or non variegated scions from some plants they will stay that way.I guess Ukigumo is one of them.As you said it has to be grown slowly for best results.
    Another Murakumo?!!!...now that's just greedy Andrea ha ha.The only reason I haven't persued this plant is because I believe it grows even slower than Ukigumo(which is slow enough)and I doubt I'll find a large one here....oops just noticed I wrote Marakumo before...must edit it ha

6. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ukigumos absolutely nightmare to position,one year their white next year their green.
    Have five of these all situated in different spots around the garden,one in the ground which is sandwhiched between two large trees really starved of sunlight but it seems to like it's spot and shows good white all season,the larger of the container plants always shows nicely,then the other three i am just waiting to see what they do this season,and will decide wether they are planted out or remain in pots

It really is a case of trying new spots every year and just keep going with them and not give up .When you get a good one with just the right amount of pink and green flecking in the leaves they take some beating in the colour stakes,nothing comes close in the wow factor.

Attached Files:

7. ROEBUK

1,2 Ukigumo, looks like it will have good patches of white again hopefully.
    3, Momoiro Koya san
    4, Autumn moon
    5,Villa taranto
    6,Mirte
    7,Koriba
    8,Matsuyoi
    9,10, Sazanami 1st pic is today and the 2nd is exactly one year ago,shows how far behind on last years tree, need another good warm sunny week for most of the trees at present.But saying this i have noticed that alot of the this seasons colours are going to be far more intense than last seasons trees.

Getting there very slowly.

Attached Files:

8. Houzi

Both the Ukigumos look pretty good to me Roebuk,that larger one is super and has put out some good growth...how long you had it?
    Always one of the last to leaf out for me,just noticed a few large leaves are appearing this year,must like the new potting mix.So far when this has happened they return as white the next year though I'd probably remove a whole branch if it reverted.
    Your Sazanami's nice too,mine hasn't coloured up yet this year but it is a favourite of mine when it does :)
    Dear me,I like your Autumn moon too.I've had no luck with mine,it's smaller now than when I got it 3or4years ago.It kept losing it's leaves early in the year and when it leafed out the petioles couldn't support the leaves when it rained.Hoping it'll have a better year this time..so far it's looking OK but like my Katsura(9years old and looks 3),you wouldn't believe it's age looking at it ha.

9. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

My favorite for spring, summer and fall. Chantilly Lace stays this color for at least 6 months.

Attached Files:

10. maplesandpaws

Roebuk, my Momoiro koya san NEVER looks like that, always has some green in it with usually only the leaf edges kind of a peachy-pink for a couple weeks in early spring, then solid green. I have it in more sun this year, but no difference...

Mary, that is a stunning Chantilly. If I could know that it would look like that here in Kansas, I'd have several. Beautiful!

11. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

And this nice shady rounded relief is certainly the favorite place for/of yours Acers, and they all settle themseves with. Bravo !

12. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Today in 5b things are finally leafing out. We had good weather a couple of weeks ago when the buds started to swell, then a cool stretch when everything paused. Now, with three days in the high 60s and 70s, we're finally getting somewhere.

1. Scolopendrifolium
    2. A.s. Moonrise
    3. Tsukushigata
    4. Orangeola
    5. Iijima sunago
    6. Emperor I
    7. Seriyu
    8. Tamukeyama with a last year's leaf still on the stem

Attached Files:

13. ROEBUK

Attached Files:

14. ROEBUK

15. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Attached Files:

16. Houzi

£30 an absolute bargain Mark.....I admit I'm giving mine just a tad more sun,risking some more green just to get some size into it but generally it's quite good colour.
    Oh don't tell me about the winds.Every year I love spring but also hate it.Usually wind&rain take a heavy toll on my smallest maples at leaf out time,often they don't have the energy to recover.Well this year the bad weather didn't come.All my maples were exposed to unusal(for us)amounts of sun and did remarkably well...I thought great! the new potting mix is helping.Well as you said today the winds came,nearly all my newly potted maples have been uprooted in their pots,and the ones that weren't fell over.Luckily I brought my new 'Hippo' gang indoors last night so they're ok.Also my Beni Maiko has suddenly wilted..there goes another one :(
    Every spring I get disheartened,think of giving up,but something spurns me on... hopefully they'll all root in soon and all will be ok again.
    Anyway here's a couple of awful photos..sorry.
    Tsuri Nishiki is looking much the same as last year though there's a little back budding this year :)
    Tamukeyama showing 'lesson one in the art of camouflage'(monty python) against Bloodgood
    ..and Taylor has struggled a bit and is extremely bleached out this year.
    Oh I've just heard about Rainbow Sister Alex...supposed to be less likely to revert than the Rainbow I've just bought..nice

Attached Files:

17. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

'Shigitatsu sawa' "dancing" in today's high winds!

Shigitatsu sawa 4.jpg

Shigitatsu sawa 3.jpg

18. ROEBUK

mmmm...All the trees are still draging their feet ,oh just to have one weeks sunshine!! that would push everything on so much, just seems to be taking for ever this season.

On a slightly better note the camellias were very pretty this year,and the clematis are just on the verge of bursting, this always brings a nice spot of colour in the garden.

Attached Files:

19. Darren Dangerdeeds

Darren Dangerdeeds New Member

Some of my seedlings and 2 witches brooms i have found and grafted.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      46.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      44.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      52.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      59.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      72.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      95.6 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      55.5 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      55.2 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      50.6 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      54.5 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      77.5 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      72.6 KB
      Views:
  20. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

Beautiful photos and beautiful plants! I especially like the first one.

21. Darren Dangerdeeds

Thank you. i think that is my favorite too. The first 4 photos are actually all the same plant. The first few weeks when it leafs out the edges are rolled down.

22. maplesandpaws

I concur, that first one (ie, the four pictures) is very nice! Do you have any pictures of the whole plant? I also quite like the last picture, reminds me a little of Kawaii, but fuller.

23. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  24. AlainK

Hi Darren,

Beautiful photos indeed, number 2 is my favourite. Great artistry to catch the moment when such a beauty is at its best.

which ones are witches brooms?...

25. Darren Dangerdeeds

thanks, glad you guys like them! Pictures 5,6 and 10,11,12 are of my 2 witches brooms. the last picture is just a little seedling from acontifolium. The one with the rolled down edges is still in a 1 gallon pot, i'll post pictures when it gets bigger and starts to display its growth habit.