Soap bubbles pollinated a pear orchard without damaging delicate flowers

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by Junglekeeper, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

wcutler likes this.
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That was fun to read, but does require reading to find that it still needs more work:

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Simple but ingenious, a brilliant read, thankyou @Junglekeeper, I enjoyed this.

D

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I find the article extremely depressing. So we have gone already that far in the destruction of Nature that we need to use such a bizarre techniques as described and mentioned in the article to substitute for the millions year old natural processes? So only what counts is our stomachs? How about the miracle of biodiversity? How about the beauty of pollination itself? How about thinking how to stop the destruction instead? If not, all we may be left with will be a soap bubbles and electronic hallucinations.

5. Acerholic

Hi Sundrop, I can see where you are coming from, where are we heading!!!!?? The trouble is where are the bees; this year where I live we have lavender plants that in decades past have been covered in bees, now we are lucky to see the odd one. Tried to click on your link to read btw but it put me through to Disney.
    D

6. Sundrop

Exactly.

7. Acerholic

Lol I see!!!!

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Just need a ban on pesticides (particularly neonicotinoids). With that in place, bees will bounce back quickly.

Agree absolutely with Sundrop on this stuff being depressing.

9. Sundrop

Unfortunately it is not only bees. The problem is much bigger. From my observation the numbers of all flying insect visiting my gardens decreased during last 20 years by 99%. The decrease is bigger each year.This year there are almost no flying insects at all.

10. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Bees are best but bubbles are brilliant!

11. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps the use of bug zappers is contributing to the problem.

12. Sundrop

So now we should only ensure that there is enough plastic to pack the bumper crop into, treat it with enough preservatives that it will not rot before reaching its destination after a long journey, and transport it from one side of the planet to another. And who cares where are those bees when we don't need them.

13. Acerholic

Whilst we would all like bees to pollinate, the simple truth is that they are declining in numbers. Lots of arguments as to why by my bee keeper friends, but crops have to be pollinated to feed the ever increasing world population.
    So IMHO, although we may not like or agree with the bubble technology, it is a necessary evil, if in fact it is evil. I use soap and not chemicals to rid my plants and trees of Aphids, so what is wrong with soap bubbles or fine brushes to help pollinate fruit trees.

Sometimes nature needs a little helping hand, as long as it doesn't interfere with nature.

Just my humble opinion

Margot likes this.