Sago Palm Brown Curled Dead Leaves

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Ace Jackson, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Ace Jackson

Ace Jackson New Member

I live in Southern California and I have two Sago palms. A male and a female. The male looks fine. For the last 3 times the female has formed new leaves, many of the leaves have turned brown. (See pictures.) (One pic shows the flower and brown leaves from 10-12-18 last year. This is how it looked roughly before I cut the flower off in March.) (I seem to get new fronds/leaves on both palms about twice a year. The male forms a flower almost every year and the female has been forming seeds about every other. Oddly, they are not always in sync with each other.)

I have fertilized it with Miracle-Gro 3002910 Shake 'N Feed Continuous Release Palm Plant Food. And after I cut off the flower that started to get moldy looking, I placed Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate Powder Fertilizer 100%"Greenway Biotech Brand" around the base and soaked it in. (I followed directions but wasn't sure if I used enough. I didn't want to kill the Sago so I played it pretty straight to the directions.)

Other things to note: I live near the beach so there is a far amount of sand in the soil. The base of the Sago is surrounded with decorative river rock. The female Sago has 4 pups growing out around it's base.

Water: I soak water into the base about once a week. I wondered at first if I was watering too much but the soil seems to dry out. And I tried to cut back on watering every two week after the previous re-growth of leaves and I still got these brown dead/dying curly ones.

I'm at my wits end. The new fronds with new leaves just came out about 3 weeks ago and were looking good. Now within 4 days the leaves are dying. It happens near the trunk of the palm and not at the leaf tips.

Thoughts?
    upload_2019-6-19_11-47-44.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019