Rubus spectabilis ~ When is Legal Age?

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Grooonx7, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Our Vancouver West End balcony, facing north 8 storeys above a dumpsterous alleyway, has hosted more than 2 dozen species of birds that we know about. One apparently graced us with a Salmonberry plant, which is now a robust foot-or-18-inches in height, in its own pot.

It is all leaves.

When I was asked when the berries would come, I replied that the young plant has a distinct paucity of flowers—none—and then, of course, I was asked when the flowers would come. Well, not this year, I suppose; but I haven't been able to explain just how our under-age salmonberry actually goes from being all leaves to producing flowers.

What happens? Can someone please explain? Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

2. Grooonx7

Grooonx7 Active Member

Well, I found an answer to my own question.

The genetic trigger that seems to be in control of the plant's yielding some leaf-growing energy to flower-producing energy, once the plant is old enough, is called Apetela1. It's "a lone master gene", we're told, which can generate proteins to turn on over a thousand other genes to initiate the plant's reproduction.

But instead of my paraphrasing the source article, I may as well give you the source so you can read it for yourself, if you're interested:

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/450-how-do-flowers-know-when-to-bloom.html