General: rosemary

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by sherene, Apr 9, 2009.

1. sherene

sherene Member

how do I plant a Rosemary? use seeds?

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. greenapple82

greenapple82 Member

can you cut rosemary right back to nothing? Mine looks moldy after the damp vancouver winter outside. It isn't very big, so is it ok to cut it right back to the base and hope for new growth?

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes that will work. Just remember they are Mediterranean and love warm to hot weather and not too wet. My best plant is actualy out in the paddock planting totaly neglected. They also produce the best oil in their leaves when not coddled. Lovely strong taste.

Liz

5. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

I love rosemary -- it was my absolute favorite garden herb when I lived somewhere where I could grow it outdoors -- but I've never mastered the trick of keeping it healthy indoors through a Maine winter. I live in hope that somebody will breed a "super-Arp" strain that can tough it out here.

6. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

It's been an ugly, wet, cold winter here on the coast, don't have to remind you of that. And it has certainly impacted a lot of our plants. I have 2 Rosemary varieties in a raised planter, the older one has survived, the younger one is now being used as twigs on the barbeque... it'll get replaced soon. Rosemary does NOT like wet feet and they seem to do better in a more sheltered location for me, but then again, I see lots of them as bushes/shrubs in the GVA. I rather suspect yours is a goner, replace it, they're not that expensive.

7. Mister Green

Mister Green Active Member

I also lost my rosemary plant this past winter. With the amount of snow we had, and the colder than usual temperatures, the three year old plant didn't make it. The 18 inches of snow on top of it turned out to be too heavy for the branches. It was a four inch starter plant when I first got it in 2006.

8. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I leave my Rosemary Tree by myfront East facing bow window, it all year round, it gets plenty of sun, and grows rapidly, I have to prune it every 3 months or so.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      130.2 KB
      Views:
  9. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

Love your Quote! Does that go for cat hair too?

10. nataliastan

nataliastan Member

You can try seeds, but I mostly prefer getting a grown plant. Also, rosemary likes well-drained soil, so make sure it's never sitting in water or sitting in overly-moist soil. You can plant it in a pot and keep it indoors all winter if you like.