Red Azalea ID and Pink Azalea ID

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by I.S., May 7, 2018.

1. I.S.

I.S. Member

We have two red evergreen azaleas and one pink deciduous azalea -all unscented - under oak and hickory trees on a south facing hill- Zone 7a. These azaleas appear to be over 10 years old and approximately 3'x3' in size. They are in partial shade. Does anyone know what cultivars these are? I think the red ones might be either 'Hahn's Red' or 'Cherry Drop'. I thought that the pink one was Encore's 'Autumn Carnation', but it is not a repeat bloomer; It only blooms during very late April and into May. The photos were taken yesterday. As you see in the photos- from a picture of a red one - that the red ones bloom first and are beginning to fade; the pink one is at its peak. Thanks for your assistance.

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Azaleas are all classed as Rhododendrons.
    There are 100's if not 1,000's of the ones known as Azaleas.
    Even Rhodo experts struggle to agree on the names at times.
    Size of flower/colour//time of flowering all enter the equation as to which one it is.
    Maybe visit a nearby Botanical garden where the Rhodo's are labelled to see if you can find an identical flower.

3. I.S.

I.S. Member

Silver Surfer, Thanks for the reply. I will check out the local botanical garden(s). I discovered that the American Rhododendron Society has a local chapter, so I will also reach out to them as well.